Mums & Asters: To Cut Back or Not To Cut Back (In Late Fall)

supernnylNovember 2, 2011

I live in Atlanta and have several mums and asters that I planted in September. I believe that they are established enough to grow back in the spring. I read in one place that I should wait until after the first hard freeze, cut them back, and then mulch over what remains. Will this allow them to come back in the spring? If so, how far do I cut them back?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pizzuti(5A)

Unless you consider them very unsightly right now, there's no reason not to let them stay green as long as possible. You can cut them back after they have frozen and died, or even cut them back in spring.

They will naturally die down all the way to the ground when they do go dormant. The stems should basically fall out on their own or you can cut them down to 1-2 inches.

They may be established well enough survive winter whether you cut them or not, but you'll certainly improve your chances even more if you leave them green as long as possible. September-planted mums sometimes make it and sometimes they don't. But the green leaves will allow the roots to continue getting deeper.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 4:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I tend to cut them both down, the asters because they tend to get mildew and I want to reduce the amount of disease that winters over. My particular mums, which are a totally winter hardy, late-blooming variety, have pretty tough stems, so if they stop blooming before the snow buries them I cut them back to remove the dead stick look. Most often, however, they disappear beneath the snow before they stop blooming and they get trimmed back when they emerge in the spring.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
Welcome spring...
I usually spend most of my time on the Roses Forum...
bethnorcal9
hey newbie: straw or hay
so you say.. whats the difference.. well .. i will...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
How much postage is toooo much?
Was happily doing some online shopping today, maybe...
twrosz
pulsatillas
anemones was a better name
daves10z7annv
Names of these two plants?
Can someone help me with the names of these two bushes?...
rocklandguyZ8,SC
Sponsored Products
Source Outdoor Manhattan All Weather Wicker Double Chaise Lounge - SO-093-32
Hayneedle
Eastwood Sectional - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Coca-Cola Classic Coke Place Mat - Set of Four
$14.99 | zulily
Tenerife 31 1/2" Round Sunburst Wall Mirror
$84.95 | Lamps Plus
Garden Leaves Accessory Pack of 3 by NUD Collection
$22.00 | Lumens
University of California Los Angeles University of California Los Angeles Round:
$26.95 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™