overwintering potted sedums

mrtulinNovember 30, 2012

I have sedum in gritty soil in shallow planters (angelina, john creech, anonyomous) I think they will rot outdoors in winter when the medium is consistently wet from sleet, rain and snow. No doubt the wet medium would freeze solid.
Should I leave them outside but in a protected area? Or can I bring them inside, put them in a bright window with occasional watering?
What have you done that worked?
Thanks,
idabean/marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

I put mine in the heated greenhouse each winter. It is only heated to 60*. The hardy ones are planted along the foundation of the house. A warm area in the house would be great.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 11:58PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

I've overwintered creeping and upright sedum starts in pots outdoors over the winter (and believe me, it can get wet here in winter and spring!) without much trouble.

I half buried the small pots in the corner of my raised veggie bed and put a sheet of hard plastic across the blocks, over top of them and a few other seedlings/plant starts that wanted dry-ish conditions over winter. I put a few rocks on top of the hard plastic to keep it from blowing off. Then when the plants/soil in the pots looked dry I would throw a few handfuls of snow on top of the pots.

You might also just put it next to the foundation house, where it is protected and kept dry by the overhang of your house, or even in an unheated garage.
CMK

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 3:00PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the one thing i suspect you couldnt kill if you wanted to.. it would be sedum.. lol ... but you are probably right on the winter water issue ...

i would simply put pots on the north side of a building.. no sun ever ... and tip them on there sides.. once they were frozen solid ... presuming the plants are fully zone appropriate ... this way.. when snow melts.. you dont have water accumulating in forzen potting media ... and a dormant plant wont care about sideways ...

if you are meaning you have them in shallow tray type pots ... gather them together.. and get a box from the grocer.. and once frozen.. say 1/1 .. put the box over them to keep out moisture.. and uncover in march or so ... when the pots thaw naturally ...

me thinks you might be over-thinking sedum a bit.. dont you??? .. unless these are some rare sedum i never heard of.. and i claim no real knowledge of the foo foo ones ...

ken

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 4:56PM
mrtulin

thanks, everyone. Ken, I think you are right. They just look so pretty now....especially in the first light snow. They are potted in the bowl of bird bath and the bottom 1/4 of a formerly large clay pot that broke after being left out all winter. I really do not enjoy fussing with overwintered plants or storing and trying to remember to water hunks of brown vegetative matter which involves trecherous basement stairs.
It seems I underthought what first appeared to be overthought. think I'll stick them outside somewhere out of the elements
idabean

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 9:11PM
cloud_9(z5 CT)

Marie - I have some shallow succulent planters and I just put them where they won't get too much moisture - under a stone bench or on my back porch. This has worked well so far. I do this with my bearded iris that are still in pots too. I have enough inside plants to deal with.
: D

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 9:22PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

righto ...

the issue .. simply put is liquid water ... on a frozen media ... you know.. those days where its warm enough for snow thaw ... or rain.. rather than snow ...

the media.. which is chosen for drainage.. all of a sudden.. being frozen soil.. does not drain ...

a secondary issue is the freeze/thaw cycles in very late winter ...

once the media is frozen.. just dont let water accumulate ... heck i have extra garbage can lids .. kids saucers .. cardboard anything.. to just shield ... rose cones ... or deflect liquid water ... JUST DONT LET HEAT ACCUMULATE UNDER ANYTHING ...

when its still winter.. but basically spring.. early march.. z5 ... take the stuff off.. no waiting until may ... lol .. let nature bring them out of dormancy..

do NOT let any heat accumulate .. so i would prefer full shade ... house.. bench.. deck ... etc ...

ken

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 9:42AM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

While I might put them in a drier spot - under a bench, under the eaves, etc. - for a bit of extra protection, I would have to think that sedums in a pot will stay much drier than sedums in the ground, no? And my sedums in the ground always come through the winter fine.

As for freezing, the last few years I've been just too darned pooped to lug my huge(but decreasing!) pot ghetto into the garage, and most of it stays out in the driveway. I've hardly lost a thing in years, and the sedums, irises, etc., in the pots come through as well.

I personally would never bring them in, but that's only because my door is the Threshold of Doom for any plant that crosses it, lol. I've got one plant from our NE Forum trip to Logee's a few years back that I'm trying to keep alive. Everything else dies. But if you are better at this overwintering indoors thing than I am, good luck!

:)
Dee

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 2:13PM
CaraRose

We had sedum left over from transplanting that we left on concrete, over the winter, completely forgot about it until I noticed it blooming late summer.

It was a mild winter, and maybe we have a tough variety, but that stuff is tough.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 5:57PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

I have an old hanging basket pot full of sedums. In summer I put this pot in a decorative pot and in winter I bury the pot in the garden. Never an issue with sogginess or the fact it freezes. After all, sedums in the ground are often froze solid here anyway and go through freeze-thaw cycles.

tj

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 6:24PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I've wintered over my sedums and succulents with my houseplants. Mine is in a sunny west window. They aren't quite getting enough sun and they reach toward the sun, but that's an easy fix in the spring. A south window would be better, which I don't have.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 12:26PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Ken - sideways - brilliant!

I've wondered about this too and there's nothing out there that says Sedum need a dormant period for those curious about the "house plant" route. More good testimonials here too. A few little tips I potted are confused but one is making a new little flower cluster.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 1:00PM
felisar

I overwinter many sedum in pots outiside in my holding beds. In addition to very sharp draining soil and I mulch them with gravel. Seems to work as I have very few casualties.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 8:39AM
ladyrose65

You all seem to have the sedum grown in pots, can these be planted out? I bought some seeds, but I know nothing about the plant except for the visual. Do they have to be kept in pots?

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 8:30PM
luckynes13(6a)

Marie,
I was like you, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my sedums. So, some were planted in the ground, some in pots were brought indoors and some are in a cool room in the house. I also took about 50 cutting, which I hope will survive. The last I am not thinking was a good idea. But I think they are fine.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
How to ask Houzz a question?
When the switch over first happened I could easily...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
daves10
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™