heat = farewell roses

pootpoot1(9B inland empire)July 21, 2014

This summer I lost six roses due to the intense heat of southern California. It was so sudden. Portland of glendora was well watered and was protected by shade too. But all in one afternoon her leaves just dried out and the cane started browning. Same with double delight, Alnwick, veranda, and the rest. Oh well, it was nice knowing you. Maybe someday.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

It is not nearly as hot here, but did you check to see if they had some help in dying?

Gophers can tunnel away a lot of water in addition to eating the roots. I am on the coast and use a drip system. Our roses are looking....surprisingly well. The soil is so dry where there are no drippers I feel bad for the weeds.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 8:56PM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Sorry to hear that!

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:18PM
pootpoot1(9B inland empire)

@Kippy they were in large containers and I moved them as soon as I noticed the weather getting really hot one day. 100 + degrees and up for a few weeks (maybe even months since summer is not over yet). I'm afraid I might lose more because the leaves from my other roses are dried as well but they still gave green canes, even with watering and the shade but I'm hoping for the best. Francis Meilland is doing the best so far, along with chrysler imperial and medallion.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:08AM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Maybe you could cover them with dripping wet blankets/towels during the heat of the day?
Carol

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:12AM
pootpoot1(9B inland empire)

Carol -I'll have to try that out! Thank you

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 2:31AM
Desertgarden- NW Las Vegas Z9a @ 2300 f

I've grown at least a rose in pots over the years, but I grow far more roses in pots now; actually about a dozen. My temperatures have been in the 100's with 5% humidity, and three of my roses in pots are in full sun. Nothing is frying or dying in pots. I give this description only to communicate that maybe other explanations should be considered. In the past when I used terra cotta pots ( I only use resin or plastic now) the pot was doubled (plastic pot inside of the terra-cotta).

I primarily use M.G. Moisture Control potting mix. I do not know if any of this helps but I hope you get to the bottom of the problem and are able yo save your roses.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 16:29

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:56PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

I'm not good at keeping roses alive in pots and even the ones in the ground have been struggling, and the coming ten days are supposed to be really hot here. My soil is also rather poor and drains quickly so it's a real challenge.

I have found that mounding up the soil around each rose and putting leaf mulch in that area and watering that area slowly (unless of course you have drip irrigation which is even better) has helped to keep the roses going, with even new growth appearing. It will become more challenging as the hot weather continues month after month but all we can do is try. I would think that container roses would do best in almost complete shade during the hottest months. I'm so sorry that you've already lost several roses, that has to be very depressing.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Help finding a miniature rose
So far I have decided to try Green Ice from Chamblees....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
do rabbits eat roses
my roses have been eaten down to about 18" and...
dmoore66
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Since this Forum is starting over again
I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones....
dan_keil_cr Keil
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™