Westerland

lynnetteJuly 15, 2014

Westerland is a newer rose and in my opinion, a better one in regards to growth, than Royal Sunset. But as said, not as beautiful. Westerland has Kordesii blood in it and so will grow much better and give you more flowers, if grown sideways such as along a fence.Because of the bright colours, this rose really makes a statement in a garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentucky_rose zone 6

Very pretty.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:34PM
sara_ann-z6bok

Lynnette - Very nice, I'm tempted by both and Kordes roses almost always do good for me.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 9:43PM
tigerloveroses

Very beautiful.ill look into getting one.i love the big patels on the flower

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 12:05AM
jardineratx(zone 8, Texas)

That photo of Westerland blooms is beautiful! I have one that I am growing as a shrub, since I have little lateral space to give it and I find Westerland to be a little stiff to train on my fence, although I know it is an excellent climber.
Molly

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 10:01AM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Another lovely climber. Your yard must be incredible!!e
Carol

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 3:13PM
seil zone 6b MI

A real beauty!

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 5:20PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Loved 'Westerland' at first sight. Wound up with 'Royal Sunset'. Does 'Westerland' have as powerful a perfume as 'Royal Sunset'?

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 3:01AM
bethnorcal9

Beautiful!

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 12:47PM
tigerloveroses

Very beautiful

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 4:10AM
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

Westerland has a lovely fragrance.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 8:31AM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

I have this rose. Mine is small, but has already put out a few nice blooms. love color. can't wait for it to get larger. i paired it with a jackmanii (purple) climber.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 12:48PM
boncrow66

That is gorgeous!

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 9:20PM
laura242424

This rose that has Westerland as a parent looks interesting. (but not for me, I'm in zone 4/5)

http://www.weeksroses.com/_Roses/AboveAll.html

Bookmark   February 22, 2015 at 12:59PM
Sow_what? Southern California Inland

I grew Westerland for many years. It never did well in my hot, dry climate. I had a pair on an arbor, and a third Westerland espaliered to a wall. Every year like clockwork a different one of the three died. So every year for almost 10 years I bought a new Westerland to replace the dead one. It took more than two years for the Westerlands to reach the top of the arbor, so with one dying each year or so, the arbor was never covered. They also hardly ever bloomed for me. Last spring I dug them out and gave them away. I have two Tradescants and two Souvenir de la Malmaison Climbers in Westerlands' spots, and three of those four roses raced to completely cover a new and much bigger arbor in less than a year. The SdlM Climbers have yet to bloom, but the Tradescants have bloomed like crazy. I really wanted an apricot rose on the arbor, but with its poor performance, Westerland wasn't worth it in our conditions. Pictures of all these roses and more are shown on our facebook page, and "likes" are greatly appreciated and will help us get the gardens back up and running while I'm mending in the hospital from an injury.

Facebook for Humpty Dumpty House

https://www.facebook.com/HumptyDumptyHouse

1 Like    Bookmark   February 23, 2015 at 12:14AM
view1ny NY 6-7

Sow_what, I wish you a speedy recovery & hope you get back to your garden very soon.

Bookmark   February 23, 2015 at 8:52AM
phyllissteen(Sunset Zone 19)

Sow_what, you might look at Above All, a new climber in the US from Chris Warner in the UK. It's spectacular at the San Jose garden. Apricot orange flowers in nice clusters, glossy bright green leaves.

Bookmark   February 23, 2015 at 10:14AM
Blueisland BC PNW-Z7-8(8a)

i am in the pacific northwest BC and i'm looking for an apricot climbing rose to grow along a cedar fence. I'd like one that grows quite large and blooms continually. I have Westerland and love it but i don't think the canes get long enough for where i want this one and i like to try new roses. I am looking at Royal Sunset and Above All. Anyone in this area have experience with these two?

Bookmark   February 25, 2015 at 8:53AM
Sow_what? Southern California Inland

view1ny, thanks for your well-wishes; I'm soooo looking forward to mending and getting my hands back in the dirt.

phyllissteen, thanks for the tip about Above All. I'm always interested in spectacular apricot-orange climbers, tho at present I'm thrilled with the color and performance of the Tradescants that replaced our dudly Westerlands.

Bookmark   February 26, 2015 at 9:21PM
mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Good to hear from you Sow. Was wondering how you are doing and hope you are out in the dirt soon (I mean that in the nicest way!)

Bookmark   February 27, 2015 at 5:33AM
More Discussions
Speckled canes?
Hi all, I was out looking at all the lovely new growth...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
Teasing Georgia as a pruned shrub
So I have been reading on here about growing TG as...
kingcobbtx9b
climbing roses
I have a 6 foot and 6 foot high chain link that im...
kaesgarden
Oh no! Not Evelyn too! (RRD)
I found this on Evelyn tonight. After taking out 7...
msjam2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™