What Deep Red HT to Choose?

achang89(Z6)July 13, 2014

I currently have:

Chrysler Imperial
Olympia
Had Mr. Lincoln before.

What other deep red HT roses do you folks recommend? I like Mr. Lincoln for the deep red color.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentucky_rose zone 6

Black Magic

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:48PM
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

It's hard for me to make recommendations regarding "how they do" because mine came either last year as bands or this year as gallons, but I do have some besides the ones mentioned which you might want to check out. I grow my dark red and crimson Hybrid Teas in containers -- some are in 22 1/2" black resin barrels I bought at Home Depot for $20 each, while the smaller ones are in 15" pots.

Big Ben (barrel)
Chateau de Clos Vougeot (pot)
Crimson Glory (pot)
Heart's Desire (pot)
Mirandy (barrel)
Night (pot -- will be in barrel next year)
Nigrette (pot)
Nocturne (pot -- will be in barrel next year)
Oklahoma (barrel)
Red Masterpiece (barrel)
Velvet Fragrance (barrel)

I have a few others on a "possibilities" list. I wasn't interested in unscented roses, so some which others may recommend didn't interest me for that reason. Take a look at:

Avon
Barcelona (sold by some nurseries as Francis Dubreuil)
Black Lady
Charles Mallerin
Deep Secret
Etoile de Hollande
Gloire de Hollande
Mme Louis Laperriere
Papa Meilland
Olde Romeo

Some of these are older roses which you may not find appealing, being as they have "poor flower form" and/or don't grow into very large plants. For me, there's something magical about fragrant dark red and crimson roses in all their forms, even if they're finicky plants -- I grow them in pots so I can baby them, and cover their bare legs with annuals.

:-)

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 23:18

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:06PM
achang89(Z6)

This is a nice long list. I'll check them. I really like the fragrant dark red HT.

Have not planted HTs for some time, just for the fear of the deers. I'll give it a try this year. Thx.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:29PM
densiemill

Oklahoma!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:57PM
the_bustopher z6 MO

I would add Ace of Hearts/Asso di Cuori and Opening Night to the list of the above varieties.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:25AM
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

I took this pic the day I planted the annuals in the barrels, so they're actually more filled-in by now. But this gives you an idea of how I'm growing my red HTs. The rose in this pot happens to be 'Mirandy', whose flowers nod upon opening.

:-)

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 0:47

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:45AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

The dark red HT I've been recommending to everybody is Oklahoma--gorgeous color, disease-resistant (so far anyway), and fairly good on the re-bloom.

Oklahoma--new plant this season

Kate

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:02AM
view1ny NY 6-7

Another vote for Oklahoma (I have 3.) Heavenly scent, black-red outer petals. Absolutely beautiful.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:31AM
farmerduck

Take a look at Ascot, which is highly perfumed dark red. The best thing about the bloom is not "classically" highcentered (which does not appeal to me for purely random personal preference) and is cabage-like. The bush (mine on multiflora rootstock) is extremely vigorous, but does get blackspot. The growth in its two year residence in my garden shows it is mixture of small climber, ht and shrub, which, to me, makes it more interesting. It is cold hardy here in Essex County.

Nadadoll posted spectacular Ascot photos. She faces different disease pressure than us, but the pictures show the potential of this rose.

The only other red HT I have experience growing is Firefighter. I cannot seem to be able to get it going. Still a one cane dwarf after two seasons. Other than not cold hardy here, it ought to be a good HT here, at least on paper.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:46AM
brittie(Houston 9a)

I'm really liking Rouge Royale this year. Crazy fragrant and doesn't shrink much in the heat.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Which William Shakespeare Do I Have? Can WS be grown as climber?
I'm not sure which WS (Austin) I have and am wondering...
cjrosaphile
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
Is "horticultural oil" just mineral oil?
I've been reading about it and am confused. I know...
nonconformist_nymphette
Roses for two spots in the PNW
Hello! I'm in zone 8 near Seattle and I've got two...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™