How to save this rose?

ls_tilegirlAugust 18, 2013

Help! I left a month ago with healthy roses both in ground and in containers with an able housesitter to care for them.
I came back to all but one healthy and thriving. Can anyone tell me what's happened to it's leaves? I'm pretty sure it's not black spot but I can't find pics anywhere that look just like what's happening to the leaves. Also there's only one scraggly bud on what used to be a flourishing bush.

Pics I've uploaded are closeups of the leaves of the blighted bush located on the north side of the house (plenty of sun) and the same (thriving) rose in another container on the south side of the house. Both have been planted and treated in the same manner, have been in their containers for two years and have been my most consistent performers, providing lots and lots of blooms.

Note it has been the rainiest summer on record in NC and continues to rain almost daily! Temps are also way below normal 65 today (Aug 17)!!!!

I'd appreciate insight and suggestions for treatment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grem12345

I think the weather or soil of the garden is not suitable for the rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: yoga

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:45AM
roseseek

It could be too much water. The sickly looking ones weren't just fertilized prior to your traveling, were they? The foliage almost appears to have been salt burned but with too much water so the "dead" areas didn't dry out. Almost as if they received too much fertilizer, or there was so much water, it all dissolved at once. Might the rain have mainly come from the north with the plant on the south side being protected by the garage? Kim

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:54AM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

It might also be sun exposure. Midsummer the sun's path through the sky is different than it is now. New leaves that were growing well a month ago in overcast skies now (when the sun does come out without clouds) may be getting too intense sunlight.

To me it looks like what happens if you get a rose that's been in a lathe house at a nursery and put it in full sun without gradually acclimating it. Sunburn.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:10AM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Yes, it is burned. This happens from some combination of too much fertilizer, phytotoxic sprays such as oil, soap, or fertilizer, sudden increase in sun exposure, heat, and not enough water (a couple of these).

Sun exposure on the north-ish side of the house should be decreasing from June 22 to December 22.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:32AM
Z 7a E Tn

Not to contradict what these wonderful experts have told you- they're probably right- but I had roses that looked like that after one of the neighbors' dogs paid a visit to my yard and lifted his leg on some of my roses. Just a thought.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:41AM
roseseek

I don't doubt it. That would be from a very similar issue, "salt burn". Why do you think your lawn dies out in spots when the dogs have mostly it for their bathroom? Kim

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:57AM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Yes. My immediate thought was "Burned." Whether by fertilizer -- too much, too soon (I killed a rose that way, so I know it can be done.) or some other agent -- even a friendly neighborhood male dog -- something has burnt the foliage.

Jeri

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:06PM
seil zone 6b MI

Definitely burn of some kind. Keep it watered but not soggy, don't feed it anything and move it into some dappled shade for a while and let it rest and recuperate.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:01PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

I thought I covered dog pee under "phytotoxic sprays" ;)

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:16PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Michael -- Depends upon the breed of dog. :-)

Jeri

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:18PM
roseseek

Oh, yeah! There is a TON of difference between the bladder capacity of a six pound Toy Fox Terror and that of a Great Pyrenees! Kim

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
do rabbits eat roses
my roses have been eaten down to about 18" and...
dmoore66
Montezuma
Does anyone grow this rose? I got one yesterday for...
meandmyyard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™