Root-Knot Nematode M. hapla in roses in Ethiopia

henry_kuskaAugust 13, 2014

"During two surveys conducted in August 2011 and April 2012, M. hapla was detected in soil samples from six out of nine rose producing farms located in the districts of Ziway, Holleta, Sebeta, and Menagesha. At infested farms, rose plants appeared stunted and less productive and often showed symptoms of chlorosis and wilting"

See:

http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/abs/10.1094/PDIS-04-14-0383-PDN

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Let's hope no one is importing roses from Ethiopia.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:12PM
henry_kuska

One important contribution of the Ethiopa paper is that it lists the symptoms. Is this important for rose gardeners to be aware of?
The following: "Meloidogyne hapla, the northern root-knot nematode, is the major nematode pest of roses and has a worldwide distribution (Berge 1971, Coolen and Hendricks 1972, Berge et al. 1974, Santo and Lear 1976, Ohkawa and Saigusa 1981, Daiber 1985)."

is from:

http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1046/j.0179-9541.2003.00930.x

Here is a link that might be useful: link to above

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:21PM
henry_kuska

"Although California has many different species of root-feeding nematodes, the most damaging ones to gardens are the root knot nematodes, Meloidogyne species. Root knot nematodes attack a wide range of plants, including many common vegetables, fruit trees, and ornamentals. They are difficult to control, and they can spread easily from garden to garden in soil on tools and boots or on infested plants. "

H. Kuska comment: I wonder how many people that think (or are being told in this forum) that they have "heat" problems with their roses actually have root knot nematode problems?

"Aboveground symptoms of a root knot nematode infestation include wilting during the hottest part of the day even with adequate soil moisture, loss of vigor, yellowing leaves, and other symptoms similar to a lack of water or nutrients. Infested vegetable plants grow more slowly than neighboring, healthy plants, beginning in early to midseason. Plants produce fewer and smaller leaves and fruits, and ones heavily infested early in the season can die. Damage is most serious in warm, irrigated, sandy soils."

See:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7489.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 12:23AM
Campanula UK Z8

It was inevitable..... since rose growing in Africa is essentially just more of the same intensive agricultural ecocide which puts short term profits over long-term soil husbandry.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 7:39AM
More Discussions
Is my new rose bush dying?
I just planted 3 new bushes in my front yard.. 2 of...
bruin27
Some of the funniest posts from the past.
Does anyone who's is good with computers know how to...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Question for celeste
I was reading some old posts of yours and seen that...
mooseymommy1
Teasing Georgia as a pruned shrub
So I have been reading on here about growing TG as...
kingcobbtx9b
Sponsored Products
Roots Vase
$34.99 | zulily
Thomas Rug 8' x 10'3" - RED/GREEN/GOLD
$5,000.00 | Horchow
New 2' 6' x 7' 11" Veg Dyed Rug, Oushak Ivory Wool Runner Hand Knotted H3200
BH Sun Inc
Safavieh Kids Multi-Colored Runner: 2 Ft. 3 In. x 9 Ft. Rug
$121.95 | Bellacor
Darya Rugs Kazak, Red, 6'0" x 6'1" M1760-107
Darya Rugs