Daybreaker - pros and cons

kentucky_rose zone 6August 12, 2007

I'm already thinking about 2008 rose season. I would appreciate any feedback on Daybreaker, e.g. abundance of blooms, do they last long, disease resistance, size of bush, and the ultimate question is, "Would you buy it again, knowing how it performs in your garden?" Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
niecey(6b-Toronto, Can)

Yes!
I would buy Daybreaker again for its continious amount of blooms it sends out up until the sign of winter(very floriferious)
I am speaking for me; blooms last a very long time til it get so crispy that I sometimes have to pick it off.
I have two Daybreaker one in the front yard(potted) and one in the backyard(bareroot)
The one in the front is very healthy with shiny leathery leaves
One in the backyard suffers from a serious case of blackspot(not a lot of sun in that area)
Also grows very wide and full and could get up to 5ft tall
KR- I just had to show pics of DayBreaker
Everytime I see the word Day breaker I get carried away
cuz I love it so much.

Niecey

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 3:43PM
roseleaf(7SE)

Those are very pretty photos, Niecey. I really like the coloration of DB, so refresh and cheerful. Unfortunately I havenÂt grown it due to the reports of bs when not sprayed.

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 6:11PM
Maryl zone 7a

This is a GOOD rose that is probably a GREAT rose in areas that have moderate summer temperatures. This is it's 3rd year for me and it's here (so far) because of it's good points in spring and fall when it's color, shape, and fragrance are at their peak. It makes a good cut flower then too, with a quick repeat. It must be sprayed for blackspot here and Thrips find it somewhat attractive.

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 6:30PM
hotroses(z7 Charlotte)

I think maryl has it right with "GREAT rose in areas that have moderate summer temperatures" I saw it in Portland and Seattle and it was stunning. I grew it in Houston and Charlotte it was mediocre. Hot weather reduces blooms and washes out the color. Humidity brings on the blackspot. I know I shouldn't compare roses growing in the PNW with those grown in the south - but my heart is in the PNW and my body (and home)in the south. What is a rose grower to do?

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 7:52PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Good:
quantity of blooms
quick repeat
form of blooms
vigor
Bad:
needs better disease resistance
has little fragrance
color fading

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 8:04PM
gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)

Niecey, feel free to get carried away any time you feel like it! :-)

Deanna

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 1:58AM
patrick45(7)

wow those roses look gorgeous!! I just might grow daybreakers as my very first rosebush!

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 2:51AM
ostrich(3a AB)

I love my Daybreaker too! This is my first year and it's already blooming a lot for me. I posted this photo here before:

The only drawback was that it developed powdery mildew easily but it seemed to be under control after I sprayed it with Orthenex.

Otherwise, I don't have any complaints... sure, it could have been more fragrant, but we can't have everything, can we? :-)

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 10:13PM
jont1(Midwest 5b/6a)

Patrick growing a DayBreaker as your very first rose would be a good idea. There are certainly many roses that would be much more troublesome to start out with by far.
DayBreaker is my absolute of all my 200+ roses I grow and it has been that way for quite some time, so this is no passing fancy.
John

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 6:15AM
liane_z4_canada(4)

Hands down my new favorite and I would like to thank everyone who recomened this rose to me last year. I do use a systemic funguside. It has a good 20 blooms on it right now (third flush) in its first year. I can't wait to see in once it is established.
Liane

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 2:39PM
Muggy23

I only have space for 10 roses, and Day Breaker has been my favorite rose by far since I planted it about 5 years ago. The flower form and color are exquisite and it is the most prolific bloomer of all my roses, with 20-40 blossoms continuously from mid-May to late October. The bush is compact and I like its tall growth habit.

The climate here in Portland, OR is perfect for Day Breaker and mine has never had powdery mildew or black spot even though I don't spray. About my only minor quibbles with it are that it attracts aphids more than my other roses, and it isn't strongly scented. But in all other ways it is just about the perfect rose.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
Fortuniana grafted roses
If you can grow rose's that are grafted onto fortuniana...
Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
pernnial blue and purple skyliner
OK, since you all were so helpful with your comments...
bart_2010
Montezuma
Does anyone grow this rose? I got one yesterday for...
meandmyyard
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™