never grown anything before but hooked on roses !!

jason97August 10, 2014

hello everyone....new to this gardening but have been hooked by roses so please can anybody tell me why this second lot of blooms look like this.....first set of blooms were really healthy with lovely scent many thanks for your input and patience...... as i will be back for more !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Have you had lots of rain? High humidity? This can cause balling in some roses. Hard to tell without name of rose and your location.

If this rose is planted within two feet of that brick wall, you might consider moving it out. Lime in the mortar leeches into soil and can affect ph levels.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:57AM
jason97

hi harryshoe... the rose is named " jude the obscure " by david Austin it was planted next to another rose of his named Gertrude jeckyll which seems to be healthy we live in poole dorset and yes it has been quite hummid these last few weeks

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:22AM
cecily(7 VA)

On roses with a zillion petals or more (like David Austin roses) it helps to gently peel back the outer layer of petals with your fingers.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:02PM
prickles(Los Angeles, CA)

I don't see what's wrong with your JtO, Jason. He looks healthy, and the buds seem fine to me. Do you mean they don't open--they balled? Or the size of the buds not as big and full as the one you've seen previously?

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:39PM
seil zone 6b MI

Jason, we need to know where you live. There are a lot of things that can affect blooms and a lot of them are condition related, like disease pressures, soil and weather. Knowing where you live will helps us determine what conditions the rose is growing in. Then we need to know exactly what you see that is wrong with this rose. The leaves look fairly healthy. The buds are a little droopy but some Austins are like that naturally. So I don't see what the problem is.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:55PM
jason97

hi to all who came back with comments...... we live in the south of England and for the past month or so its been quite warm and humid I will try suggestion of peeling back gently the outer leaves thanks to all of you any other comments much appreciated !!!

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Do growing conditions affect fragrance *types* in your experience
... I mean like making a clove-smelling rose smell...
laura242424
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
Climbing, spreading, purple roses?
Although I don't consider myself a rose aficionado,...
ilovegardening
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™