Rust colored motling of Rose leaves

sdraza1August 4, 2013

There is Rust colored motling of Rose leaves as you can see in the picture. what could be the reason. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Could you try again with a sharply focused picture?
Thanks.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 2:50PM
roseseek

Please try removing several of the leaves, placing them on a flat surface and taking as close-up photos in as sharp focus as possible. What you're showing could be insect damage due to the sap being sucked out of them; the beginning of a disease or nutrient deficiency, but the ONLY way to even begin to diagnose which it may be is to see clear, detailed photos of both tops and bottoms of several leaves. Plus, if you get sharp, close-ups of the reverses, it should be possible to tell if there are spider mites, which could easily result in the mottling of the foliage you are questioning. Kim

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 3:29PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

If you have a flatbed scanner, you can get clearer, better images using that, than you can with a "point and shoot" camera, or most cell phones.

If you don't have a better camera, and you don't have a flatbed scanner, try a business that has one, and/or does printing, and use their scanner.

Jeri

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 6:23PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Or sunburn. Have you had a sudden heat wave? But yeah, a photo that's in focus would really help us to help you.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 7:41PM
sdraza1

Rust colored mottling of Rose leaves, close up

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 2:57PM
sdraza1

Rust colored motling of Rose leaves, undersurface of the leaves.

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 2:59PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

I think these roses are infested with spider mites, which would cause the fine yellowish stippling on top and the dirty appearance of the undersides. Look at the undersides through a magnifier, preferably 6x, and I think you will see wispy webs, tiny amber colored crablike critters, and perhaps their yellowish eggs. They suck plant juices and will eventually cause the leaves to curl and die.

The Two-Spotted Mite is everywhere, but population explosions can occur a) when roses are grown indoors or sheltered from rain b) when insecticides have reduced their natural enemies c) in hot dry weather. Outbreaks are best treated with water--a hard spray directed to the undersides every day or two. Have you used an insecticide?

I am not sure what caused the brown mottling. but it is probably not a fungus disease. The dead brown patches that I think I see in the first fuzzy picture seem different and could be burn from too much fertilizer.

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 4:01PM
susan4952(5)

I am guilty of, or a victim of , everything mentioned.

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 1:26AM
More Discussions
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Since this Forum is starting over again
I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones....
dan_keil_cr Keil
New DA plants arrived!!
I got home from work yesterday and there was a big...
bethnorcal9
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™