Mishapen Rose bush

dawnpet69August 6, 2014

Hi, moved into new house a year ago and found a lovely very smelly (really lovely smell) rose bush, I dug it up and put it in a pot and want to now put it back in the soil but I am not sure how or when to prune it but I would like it to be more of a bush if possible rather than one thick stem with just a couple of thin stems, question is can I make it bushy where to prune it and the best time, thanks so much for any advice, novice gardner

This post was edited by dawnpet69 on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 11:42

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dawnpet69

If I cut the main stem will it sprout lots of new growth (new stems?) or would it be best to prune the two longer stems

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 11:41AM
dawnpet69

Beautiful rose, would like more !

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 11:45AM
jacqueline9CA

That rose needs to be planted in the garden, which I understand is your intent. The most important thing is not what shape it is right now, but planting it in the right place.

It needs sun for at least 6 hours a day, and water. After you plant it it will spend some time making new roots and getting established before you will see new top growth. Do not worry about that - think of it as growing under the ground where you cannot see it. DO NOT FEED it at first - wait until it shows new growth, and then just feed it with a rose food (no poisons), and follow the directions.

However, right after planting it might not have enough energy to both grow new roots and support the top growth and those blooms it has now. If it was mine I would cut off say 5-6 inches of the two little canes with the leaves, leaving some leaves on it (because they are what keeps it alive). Then I would WAIT for it to make roots (might take 2-3 months). When it has done that and is showing new growth, I would feed it as I said, and then WAIT to see how it does with the new growth - several months to a year. It needs time to recuperate from being neglected, dug up and put in a pot, and then re-planted.

Send us another picture when it has gotten bigger, and there are people on here who will be able to give you specific instructions as to pruning. Pruning is your LAST issue, not the first. First you have to get it healthy and growing in the garden.

Good Luck!

Jackie

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 12:12PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I second everything Jackie said.

Good luck. Your rose is a beauty.

Kate

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 12:54PM
dawnpet69

Thankyou so much, I will follow your advice

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 1:10PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Coming in late -- but you've gotten good advice.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Questions about Blaze climbing rose
Hello. I am thinking of putting a Blaze climbing rose...
suz9601
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
New record!
OK, all you snow freaks, you got your new record here...
seil zone 6b MI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™