RRD and my neighborhood

poorbutroserich(Nashville 7a)August 16, 2013

Had a garden consult today. The consultant told me she is taking out 10 RRD infected old climbers just two streets over from mine.
That made me sad.
Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

That would scare me spitless.

Jeri

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 2:52PM
buford(7 NE GA)

You just have to be vigilant. Check your roses at least once a week. My guess is that the 'old climbers' were neglected and not checked when one first showed symptoms and it spread. Very sad.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 7:35AM
poorbutroserich(Nashville 7a)

Yes Jeri, it has scared me more than spitless! You know how many new roses I am acquiring.
Buford I will be vigilant and I do live in an "old" neighborhood.
I've just got to stop seeing these roses as a permanent part of my life, like a pet or something.
What is up with that. Does anyone else do that?
Susan

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:48AM
nickl(Z7a NJ)

If RRD does show up in your garden, it would be prudent to remove all the plants that are showing symptoms. it's not a 100% guarantee because there are known cases of infected plants that don't show any symptoms, and of course, it can come in from wild roses too. . But it's still the best course of action to prevent it spreading.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 10:01AM
Maryl zone 7a

I've had the worst season of RRD this year since I've been growing roses in the mid 80's. I've already pitched 4 roses with it and 2 others have sprouted RRD canes which I've cut back to the crown trying to save them (if the RRD hasn't moved down to the roots). I've had luck with doing this before - about 20% of my roses being saved if I had caught the RRD in time. These last two roses I'm particularly fond of and don't want to loose which is why I'm chancing it..... Gotten more and more into daylilies as I've gotten older, and it's a good thing too. My rose days may be numbered. From one or two RRD roses every few years to this mess this year...Since Knock Outs started being planted in every gas station and rent house around here, there's more roses then ever to spread the mites that have the disease......Such a shame....... If it ever crosses the Rockies, I feel sorry for those in the mild climates along the coast.........Maryl

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:06PM
buford(7 NE GA)

I regularly see KOs in commercial settings that have RRD. I would have to carry around a shovel with me to get rid of all of them. I too was able to save some roses by removing infected canes. Even my Ballerina, which was awfully affected and we thought we removed all the roots, came back and has been healthy so far.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Roses for two spots in the PNW
Hello! I'm in zone 8 near Seattle and I've got two...
nonconformist_nymphette
I will be converting my rose garden this spring
After two brutal winters where temperatures have reached...
dmoore66
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™