need help with soil mix!

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)December 28, 2012

I do container gardening in lg. plastic storage containers with holes in the bottom for irrigation. Normal soil won't work in container gardening; too heavy, compacts too much.

The ingredients in it are pine bark mulch, coarse vermiculite, spaghnum peat moss, some dolomite lime (NOT fast-acting) and pelleted fertilizer for container gardening (osmmocote). The bark makes up the bulk of the soil mix (2-3 cubic feet per 30 gallon batch)

The size of the pine bark mulch I was using was too large; I didn't realize this. It caused the soil to dry out too fast, creating inconsistent moisture.

I found something called double shredded pine bark mulch; will this work or is it too small?

If it won't work my other options are pine bark nuggets, pine bark chips, or pine bark straw.

If the shredded mulch isn't suitable for use in a container gardening mix, would any of the stuff listed above work or would it be too large?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Commercial potting mixes are made of peat moss, finely ground bark, coir, or a combination of those with either perlite or vermiculite added for drainage. Something sold for use as mulch will probably be too large for a potting mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: potting soil recipes

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 6:37AM
kawaiineko_gardener(5a)

THanks for providing the link with the soil recipes and taking time to post on my thread.

Well the mulch I would be using as I said is double shredded. It basically looks like a fine powder; the bits of mulch don't look anything like normal mulch does, that is they're not in lg. chunks.

Also the recipe I use calls for 2-3 cubic feet per 30 gallon batch. When I mix up my soil less mix, I measure eveything into a container, and measure everything in the soil recipe in gallons.

Converted to gallons, how much is 2-3 cubic feet in gallons?

They're very small in size with the double shredded stuff. Sorry for not clarifying this.

Would this suffice?

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 8:26PM
garystpaul(4)

KG, shredded pine or fir bark fines make up a big chunk of my potting mixes. I shred the nuggets or mulch myself. I've included here a useful link that may help you.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Tapla's container mix formula

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 8:48PM
toxcrusadr

There are 7.5 gallons in a cubic foot.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
Seeking help/tips for a raised bed that's out of control with weeds...
Hi there, I have a raised bed garden. 3 years ago,...
toomanyaccounts
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
what about those compost tumblers?
We just moved from Northern IL to TN and I need a quick...
ryseryse_2004
The case against compost tumblers
I am complete against tumblers. They don't drain well...
tropical_thought
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™