My budding "Duh!" moment...
Out of the 140+ buds I inserted on Pink Clouds, Cardinal Hume, VI Fortuniana, VI IXL and a seedling I raised which has refused to flower the eight-plus years of its life, between June 1 and July 1, 17 are definite failures. All 17 have dried, turning brown to beige, most likely due to my failure to provide sufficient cambium to cambium contact. Almost all stocks have multiple buds inserted in them, with one containing 16 buds of the same rose. In most cases, these were types I wanted to rapidly increase quickly, and make sure something succeeded. It won't matter if there are numerous growing stems from the same stock. Once the variety is growing, they will provide more bud wood for individually budded plants (when I have rooted more stocks) and provide cuttings for further rooting. I had a finite number of stocks propagated and far too many buds I wanted to use, so multiple buds of the same rose in each stock was the most efficient use. Since several were between 18" and 36" long, there was plenty of room to stretch them out along their lengths so I can later cut them apart for wrapping and rooting.
I cut all the stocks with known successful buds back to push the sap into the inserted buds. Several have made astonishingly rapid growth, while others have developed more slowly. Several continued "weeping", "bleeding", quite profusely, which I figured would eventually take care of themselves and stop. Nope. After nearly two weeks, none of them showed any signs of even considering callusing over and stopping the sap loss. And, of course, none of the buds on the weeping stocks showed any sign of development. Duh! Sap pressure pushes the buds into growth and all that lovely pressure was escaping out the wounds, the cut ends.
I took more Parafilm strips and tightly bandaged the cut ends to stop the "blood loss". Remarkably, nearly all the buds in those stocks showed dramatic development in as little as 24 hours! IXL and Pink Clouds demonstrated the greatest sap flow, resulting in the greatest "bleeding". Fortuniana came in second with Cardinal Hume following a distant fourth. All but those on my seedling are pushing growth and foliage. Those in the seedling are at the top of a three foot whip in hopes of creating a Verdun patio standard. The buds are green, but the seedling appears not to flow as much sap, not have as high sap pressure, as evidenced by the limited bleeding from the cut end and how rapidly it sealed over on its own.
All the stocks are potted in one and two gallon cans and all have been kept HEAVILY watered, sometimes daily, to maintain as heavy sap pressure as possible. That doesn't actually require that much water if done properly. All are on the front retaining wall at about three feet off the walking surface so it's easy to turn on the hose to a dribble, hold my finger over the end to create increased pressure and apply small amounts of water when the surface of the soil in the pots appeared dry. It's almost like drip irrigation in that very little, if any, water actually seeped out the pot bottoms. Occasionally, I would provide more water to flush any salt build up out the pot drain holes and draw fresh oxygen into the potting soil.
If your stocks are pushing so much sap they continue "bleeding" for any length of time, you may want to bandage their cut ends to stop the sap loss and encourage the inserted scions to push growth. I simply stretched the Parafilm over the cut end, then wrapped it tightly around the top of the stocks to help hold the stretched piece in place against the sap pressure attempting to push it off. It was fast, easy, simple and effective! Kim
This post was edited by roseseek on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 14:16