Night Owl and Stormy Weather

frances_in_nj(z6 NJ)August 17, 2014

I love these two roses, and grow multiple specimens of each. However, neither of them really acts like a climber for me. My tallest Stormy Weather is maybe 5 ft; the others are shorter. Basically, these two really seem to be shrubs, not climbers, at least in my zone 6 garden. Does anybody else successfully grow them as climbers? And if so, can you shed any light on the behavior of mine? Maybe its climate?

Thanks in advance, any thoughts most appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

How long have you had your Stormy Weather? Mine is 3 years old and is finally reblooming and throwing canes longer than 44" I saw some really nice looking ones on a pillared wall and hope mine start taking off like that next season

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 10:31PM
frances_in_nj(z6 NJ)

My oldest Stormy weather is, I think, 2 years old. I guess maybe I just have to wait longer; but then again, I gather you are in CA, so quite a different climate. About how tall were the pillared ones you saw? Mine rebloom quite well, they are just short. As for Night Owl, I have had my oldest for, I think, 4 years, and it is short; maybe 3 ft tall.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 9:33AM
leezen4u

Try giving them 2 cups of alfalfa pellets from the feed store. When I do this most roses will throw much bigger canes within 3-4 weeks. The canes will also mature to a much thicker size allowing me to prune them to a longer length. It's possible that winter die back for you might be less severe with bigger canes. Just a guess.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 9:58AM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Mine seems to hate the heat and I think that is what slowed it down so much

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 10:04AM
bart_2010(8/9 Italy)

Thanks for starting this thread, Frances. I want to get both of these roses this fall,but knowing about habit is always essential,and this is info that's hard to find. I hope some others who grow these roses will weigh in...

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:38AM
More Discussions
Photo-Cl. Butterscotch
This is a test to see if I can post on Houzz. A favorite...
James_Shaw_San Francisco Bay Area
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™