Opinions On Miracle Gro Potting Soil for Roses

alameda/zone 8August 17, 2013

I have a good soil mix of aged mushroom compost, bark fines and sand that has worked well. But I was wondering if mixing some of the MG Rose Potting Soil would be beneficial? Am always interested in improving on what I am doing but wanted opinions before I did anything as I want to be very careful with these last bands from Vintage. Thanks!
Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

My DH has used it that way, and likes it.

Jeri

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:16PM
susan4952(5)

Careful of the ferts. Small amt. should be fine.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:01PM
Alwayzbgrateful(8)

Any MG soil I've ever gotten is always hard as a rock, and doesn't drain well,if it were me I'd stick to what works. Save the money for more roses;-)!

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:45AM
farmerduck

I use MG soil ONLY for all my a dozen or so potted roses. They seem to grow fine.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:15AM
kittymoonbeam

This is good as a mixer. One caution is that you don't want bagged soils with foods added in to get wet and sit unused. They get toxic then.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:34AM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

If you have a mix that works, why change? Except be careful about the lime content of mushroom compost; some is highly alkaline and can cause iron deficiency chlorosis.

MG potting mix is fine, but since it contains fertilizer, be careful not to over-fertilize. MG orchid soil is a lighter and more durable mixture (lots of bark fines and peat).

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:38AM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

We use MG potting mix/or potting soil only for our tomato plants etc. with good results...

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:39AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Overpriced. You are paying for all that advertising.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:26PM
roseseek

If there is a Costco conveniently near you and you belong, they have two cubic foot bags of the MG Moisture Control Potting Soil for $9.99, making it $5 a cubic foot. It's the best price around these parts. Home Depot and Lowe's sell the 64 quart (2.5 cuft) bags for $14.97, making that extra half cuft cost what a full cuft costs at Costco. Compared to the other brands I have looked at and was inclined to trust, the Costco price is right in line. Kim

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:36PM
susan4952(5)

Amount tolerance kind of depends on the rose, also. Is it a band? A bare root? A potted rose?

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:45PM
paxtonlandscapes

I have always used miracle gro and i think it works great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscaping

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:01PM
erasmus_gw

I like Miracle Grow moisture control best..it seems to have a finer texture than regular Miracle Grow. I tried a different brand one year for my small plants..I think it was Stay Green, and it stayed too wet through the winter or didn't have enough air in the soil so I lost more plants to rot that year. Miracle Grow has the right balance of moisture and air.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 7:51AM
bluegirl_gw

During the spring I was too cheap to buy it, rationalizing that I could make a similar mix from bulk stuff cheaper.

Now that it's hot as heck I'm snapping it up, mostly at pretty good prices, since it's a bit off-season. That hand-mixing bulk stuff is a pain.

The MG is so fluffy & well-draining. I'm re-potting the bands now in gallons in it. I have them in a 1/2 (good, bought) native soil & 1/2 pine fines (Hapigro landscape mix).

They almost all look very good. Dr. Grill, Mme Charles, Pink Rosette, Coronado, Atomic White are literally climbing out of the pots. The bands I put in the ground with that mix are even bigger. Sunsprite is a 3' multi-caned plant--a couple of canes are probably 3/8" thick. These are spring delivered bands that looked very nice on delivery.

Bands I potted up last fall in the native soil with some coarse mulch are okay, but not near as robust as the plants from spring in the fines/native mix.

The fruit trees we planted in a mostly MG potting mix this spring look fantastic & have never wilted.

Yeah, it seemed extravagant this spring to buy MG but when I look at how the valuable plants we did put in it last spring have thrived--I'm going to get it at the best price I can & stock up.

I just went out & priced peat--2.2cu.ft. bale was $20. I don't think I can duplicate the MG potting mix at the price it's already offered at--& consider the labor--in this heat! I have also tried several store brands but they seem to have less peat & more fines. For my caliche desert area with thin sandy soil, the amount of peat really fluffs the soil & holds the water when mulched without caking up into a dry clump.

I'm going to fluff up the store brands with a bit more peat to get them to a similar tilth. I've also been adding about a tablespoon of Osmocote per mixed gallon in my experimental native + fines mix.

Sorry for the ramble, bottom line: right now I'm leaning towards putting more stuff in MG potting mix when I consider price + labor.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 3:14PM
roseseek

Coir (ground coconut fiber) is signifcantly better than peat and is renewable, where peat isn't. It holds much more water without becoming water logged, so it maintains better soil oxygen. I don't care for Scott's, but so far, the MG Moisture control remains the best around here. Kim

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Austin roses at Whole Foods
Just returned from Whole Foods store in the New Orleans...
suebelle_neworleans
How cold and for how long?
Last night's hard freeze wasn't that hard at my house....
stillanntn6b
Crazy about Rose Buds!
There are times during this new season of roses that...
sara_ann-z6bok
Iceberg vs. Pope John Paul II
I am considering placing white roses near the entry...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
K Mart Roses
They had an ad in the Sunday paper and we were going...
seil zone 6b MI
Sponsored Products
Prizm Semi-Flushmount by Access Lighting
| Lumens
Emile Henry 9 in. Pie Dish - Juniper - 976131
$40.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Brown/Taupe 3 ft. x 5
Home Depot
13-Inch Renaissance Rose Mini Lamp
$160.20 | Bellacor
Vintage Rose Giclee Art Base Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus