Intertwining Pillar Roses on One Pillar/Support

ArbutusOmnedo 10/24August 17, 2013

Hey Y'all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience growing two pillar roses up the same support? I've definitely seen pictures of it, but it seems like one would need to pick very complimentary roses -in terms of appearance, growth habit, disease resistance, a once blooming rose with a remontant rose, et cet.-when attempting this.

The effect is incredibly striking and I would just like to hear your thoughts on the potential negatives (e.g. tangling, roses strangling each other, lack of airflow, ...) and positives of this growing strategy. I happen to be about a mile from the beach in very mild Santa Monica. I've been planning for a series of three pillar roses to go on the path towards the front door and this idea has really captivated me. If you have any recommendations for pillar roses (preferably around 10', but 12' or so is manageable) in this area I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thus far, Gloire des Rosomanes, Cornelia, and Setzer Noisette -if I can ever find it- seem like very fitting choices for pillars here. I would probably prefer OGRs, but I'm open to about anything. I'm also fairly open as regards color, but im generally looking for options that are pink, white/cream, yellow, and red.

Thanks for any and all help, everyone's experience here is truly priceless.

Cheers,
Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

Jay -- I've usually seen 'Gloire des Rosomanes' grown as a BUSH. The canes seem to me not to be lax enough for winding on a pillar.

Setzer Noisette will definitely grow as a pillar rose, but it is itself dense enough that I don't see it "sharing" well with another rose.

I have it in mind to do this myself, with perhaps Cl. Cramoisi Superieur and Purple Skyliner. DH is not enchanted with the idea, but I'm hopeful.

Below see "Setzer Noisette" on an arbor. (It may not be in commerce.)

Jeri

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:15PM
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24

Thanks again for important information Jeri. I'm glad you alerted me of that growth habit. Would you say Altissimo might be a good substitute as a red pillar for Gloire des Rosomanes?

Your Setzer Noisette is lovely. Indeed I can't spot it in commerce anywhere, but it's one to keep in mind nevertheless. Perhaps I'll plan to have a central dual trained pillar between two single rose pillars since most of the varieties I'm captivated by seem a bit vigorous.

Jay

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 10:13PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Jay, the only place I know that Setzer might show up is the Sacramento City Cemetery, because we donated it to the garden, but you might check with Burlington Rose Nursery.

Altissimo is a true Pillar climber, in that it goes straight up and fans out manageably. It was never happy in my garden, but a friend grew it in La Conchita. It grew all the way up her 2-story home. I have envied it for years. It's a good coastal rose.

But for myself, I like 'Fourth of July' more. Personal preference. (See below)

Jeri

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Anyone grow Coretta Scott king?
I've always liked the look of this rose, but after...
SoFL Rose z10
Experience with Drift roses?
I'm looking at planting either Apricot, Peach, or Icy...
onederw
English roses for coastal CA, zone 10?
Hello everyone, Spring is almost here and I'm dreaming...
paola_b
Westerland
Westerland is a newer rose and in my opinion, a better...
lynnette
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™