new growth all crinkly

bebba1August 17, 2013

ALL the new growth on virtually ALL my roses is (I think) a darker red than it ought to be, somewhat smaller, and CRINKLY. ???? Clues: 1) this is the first growth after fertilizing with Maxsea about six weeks ago, so it may have been too much nitrogen and 2) we did have a spell of 10 days or so of unusually cool weather about a month ago. I've just cut most of it off--just sacrificed it, hoping for better luck on the next crop. But: explanations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

Photos might have helped.

You may have sacrificed this new growth needlessly.

Jeri

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:43PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

what Jeri said.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:27PM
bebba1

I forgot to add that the new growth was unusually soft and water-filled--much more than ordinary new growth--and that the few leaves there were were small and VERY far apart--like, three tiny leaflets on 15" of growth. Does that change things at all?

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:44PM
Maude80

You can't reverse time and change having cut it off, but if it had been me, I would have waited. Alot of times when my roses put out new growth, it will look red, kind of limp and different from the rest of the bush. Sometimes that just happens.. Dont worry though, it will grow back.
Maude

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:05PM
seil zone 6b MI

You should have posted pics before cutting it all off. It sounds to me like it was probably just normal new growth. All roses have their own look when they produce new growth. Much of it is red and soft until it has time to mature. That's why they call it "hardening off" when it matures. New leaves are often crinkled until they grow out and green up too. You need to be patient and observant to see how each of your roses grows normally so you'll know when something is different. And don't compare one variety to another. They all have different personalities.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
When to remove winter protection so it doesn't rot, basically?
After last year's killing Polar Vortex, this winter...
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™