What are 'spray roses'?

terry94705(SF Bay)August 1, 2009

I keep seeing "spray roses" at florist stands. They are usually a medium stemmed cluster of 6-10 roses with blooms that are an inch or so across. The ones I've seen recently are all in hot colors, mango, orange, etc.

I've looked in my rose books but can't really figure this out. In my books the roses with those small clusters seem to be landscape roses, so I assume that means they are low growing, and not destined for vases.

(I tried searching "spray roses" but you can guess what popped up...)

Maybe these are something only florists/hothouses grow???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

Probably the more correct term would be "Cluster-Flowering."


    Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 11:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

They are usually floribundas with small blooms, bred primarily for the florist trade. The best known "spray rose" grown in the garden is 'Cécile Brunner' (aka "The Sweetheart Rose").

    Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 11:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It seems to be a new term/phenomenon in the florist trade. I've seen these very small clusterflowered roses over here too and don't think much of them. Too much greenery for very little flower power.

Marianne in Sweden

    Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 2:15PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Counting the Days!
Generally it starts after Christmas with me, truthfully...
pernnial blue and purple skyliner
OK, since you all were so helpful with your comments...
Candy Stripe questions...
After nursing this band from Rogue Valley along since...
Fortuniana grafted roses
If you can grow rose's that are grafted onto fortuniana...
Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™