Big Rose Sale in Modesto, CA

john_ca(CA US9/SSZ14)August 10, 2010

For those in the Modesto, CA area: there is an unusually good rose sale at Four Seasons Farms nursery in Modesto, CA. They have a huge selection of David Austin roses, including some new releases for 2010. The roses are growing in fiber pots and are for the most part healthy and in excellent shape. The sale price for these, is $10 to $12.50 plus tax. I found Claire Austin Munstead Woods, Windemere, Lichtfield Angel, Tea Clipper, Hyde Hall, Strawberry Fields, The Squire, Young Lycidss, Sir John Betjamin, Brother Cadfael, and many more. There were also roses from the Romantica group (Polka, Full Moon Rising, Colette, Lunar Mist, and others as well as many of the Jackson and Perkins roses. I don't remember ever seeing a sale quite like this one before.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

Are they going out of business?

Jeri

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 1:13PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Great deal! Which ones did you get?

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 12:02PM
john_ca(CA US9/SSZ14)

Jeri: No, not going out of business. They are the only nursery in the area marketing Austins. They say then need someone to address their gardening group to explain what they are and see if they can increase their popularity. I have grown around 120 different Austins over a period of over 20 years so I may do this for them.

hoovb: I got 22! Some of them are: Claire Austin Munstead Woods, Windemere, Lichtfield Angel, Tea Clipper, Hyde Hall, Strawberry Fields, The Squire, Young Lycidss, Sir John Betjamin, Brother Cadfael, Lunar Mist, Colette, Classic Woman, A Shropeshire Lad, Souv. de la Malmaison, Seduction, The Alnwich Rose, St. Swithun, and 3 more I can't remember right now. I moved into a new unlandscaped house in December on an acre and needed to add a few roses.

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 7:52PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Wow john_ca, you got some good ones. I would be interested in hearing your comments on 'Claire Austin', 'Munstead Woods', in fact all of them in a few months (please?).

...on an acre and needed to add a few roses...

More than "a few", we hope! :)
Congrats on your new home--a whole acre--I can only envy. No water restrictions?

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 9:16PM
john_ca(CA US9/SSZ14)

hoovb

These 22 are joining around 80 that are already there, so not to worry. We are planting large planters of cottage garden mixes of annuals, perennials and English roses. Lots of fun but lots of work!

As for water, we have new well with a larger pump than I think was necessary-but the folks who built (and lost the house) kind of overdid everything in the house-appliances, cabinetry, etc. We are very close to the Stanislaus River, so we should be in good shape, even in drought years. Life is good!!!!

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 11:21AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Sounds like you found a great spot, but now we want to see pictures of that beautiful garden! :)

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 4:26PM
john_ca(CA US9/SSZ14)

I will try to take some photoes AFTER we clear away some weeds. It is amazing how fast they (weeds) grow. We just got all the roses, other shrubs and trees in these borders on drip, but are still sprinkling the annuals & perennials.

I will report of the perfomance of these new ones. Went back Saturday and got Polka, Full Moon Rising (pale yellow color sport of Polka), Black Baccarole (sp?),White Meidiland, and The Generous Gardener. Still lots of inventory left for those in the area.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Questions about Blaze climbing rose
Hello. I am thinking of putting a Blaze climbing rose...
suz9601
Roses for two spots in the PNW
Hello! I'm in zone 8 near Seattle and I've got two...
nonconformist_nymphette
I will be converting my rose garden this spring
After two brutal winters where temperatures have reached...
dmoore66
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™