Using Grass B Gone around roses

redsox_gwSeptember 11, 2008

We have a small bed with Peace and Chicago Peace. Also in this bed is a butterfly bush, liriope, peonies, coreopsis, veronica, daylilies etc. Some of these were inherited with the house but in any case, in this bed we get tall grass late in the season. I take this to be bermuda grass?

I would like to use Grass B Gone to get rid of the grass but is it safe to use around the roses? I was thinking of covering the roses with grocery store plastic bags while spraying.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

Grass B Gone (Fluazifop-p-butyl, aka "floozie-flop") should be OK (Weed B Gone is not OK), but I would make sure not to get it on the roses. If you could paint it on instead of spraying, that would be best.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 9:52AM
labrea_gw

Would it be a problem for the liriope or is that actually a grass

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 12:22PM
carolfm(z7upstate SC)

Debbie, I have used grass b gone numerous times around my roses without covering them and it did not harm them.
I just take a piece of cardboard and place it between the rose and the grass I am spraying just to be safe. I'm sure there may be some overspray doing it this way but I haven't seen any damage at all.

Joe, lirope is not a grass, it is a member of the lily family.

Carol

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 12:53PM
redsox_gw

Great, I'll use the cardboard or a bag to be careful. We have sprayed it around the liriope before with no problems.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 1:51PM
kentucky_rose zone 6

I've used it around my roses and haven't noticed any harm to my roses. I do try to avoid as much as possible to not directly spray the rose bushes.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 2:20PM
cweathersby

I've sprayed it directly on the roses and never seen the slightest bit of damage - after all, we pay extra for this stuff so that we don't have to do the whole cardboard / baggie thing, right? I only paint on when using glycophosphate (Roundup).

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 3:29PM
athenainwi

I've sprayed Grass B Gone directly on my roses and haven't seen any ill effects. I pretty much only use it for grass growing right in the rose where I can't use Roundup because the Grass B Gone doesn't work terribly well for me. I usually have to spray the grass twice before it starts to die.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 4:49PM
patriciae_gw(07)

Grass B gone takes a while-the grass has to be actively growing for it to work but it will not hurt the roses. If the grass is producing seed heads that is too late. I have Quack grass that gets into the root systems around my gallicas and I will use GBG when I have too..it can take several weeks before I see good results but patience is the name of the game...

patricia

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 9:46PM
hartwood

The chemical in Grass B Gon is labeled as safe for 'over the top' application on roses, and most other broadleafs. 'Over the top' means that you can spray it right over the entire bed without harm to your roses. I don't go quite that far . . . I spray around the roses, but I don't worry if it gets on them. It's a selective herbicide that only kills plants in the grass family -- like the chemical in weed and feed only kills broadleaf weeds and leaves your lawn unharmed.

I keep a bottle of GBG handy to get the Bermuda that creeps into my front borders under the brick edge. (I buy it in the concentrate form now, sold as Ornamec.) As soon as the grass shows up, I shoot it with GBG. It works very well.

Connie

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 6:56AM
More Discussions
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
double yellow Lady Banksia
I was wondering if anyone had much experience with...
kaesgarden
Just some pictures
Souvenir de la Malmaison on the left, Bishop's Palace...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Heritage Rosarium?
Is this rose garden still opening for visits around...
sujiwan_gw
First blooming bud of my first rose - Livin' Easy
Getting ready to show her colors
dixonticonderoga
Sponsored Products
MaxLite MLFP14EP3635 Edge Lit LED Flat Panel, 3500K
EnvironmentalLights.com
WAC 104 J LED White Track Head for Juno
Euro Style Lighting
Treated Pine 3' Rose Trellis
Fifthroom.com
Fitzgerald Leather Ottoman - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Cheese Mill
$16.99 | zulily
Patio Living Concepts Patio Tables. San Juan 30 in. Bisque Table Lamp with Basil
Home Depot
Atelier Cimarron Bronze Three-Light Pendant
$500.00 | Bellacor
Robert Abbey | Latitude Chandelier
YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™