self seeding -- good roses or bad?

roxanna(z5b MA)September 17, 2012

My Darlow's Enigma seems to have seeded a few nice babies. These are located right under the DE. What are the chances that the babies ARE from the Darlow's Enigma and not just a random wild multiflora rose?? I find it impossibly difficult to distinguish one from the other. I'd like to transplant them IF they are DEs....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wirosarian_z4b_WI

At this point in their life, it is still hard to distinguish what kind of rose these babies are. If you are interested in trying to see what they are, I would leave them where they are this winter with some winter protection, and then next spring pot them up & hold them in a pot for a year or 2, evaluating them. DE is a "found rose" so there is no info as to its parents but it is classified in some sources as a Hyb. Musk so the babies may not resemble DE if they are the result of self-pollination & remember these babies may have had pollen carried in from another nearby rose so they may only be 1/2 DE.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 12:57PM
henry_kuska

We used to sell DE open pollenated seedlings as a fund raiser at our local rose club. They were all different but similar. Everyone seemed to love the one that they purchased.

"Posted by Henry Kuska [email] on Thu, Jun 16, 2005
My open pollinated seedlings are in general as good or better than the original. I donated many small D.E. seedlings to our local rose society for their annual spring plant sale; and they were a very popular item with lots of positive feedback."

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 1:39PM
kittymoonbeam

Good luck to you. Probably not DE but maybe close enough to make you happy.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
Help finding a miniature rose
So far I have decided to try Green Ice from Chamblees....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Westerland
Westerland is a newer rose and in my opinion, a better...
lynnette
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™