starts question

pembroke(6--Louisville KY)September 15, 2012

what do you think about using artificial lighting for cuttings? I have three cuttings in freezer bags (small green house) under artificial lights with hopes of keeping humidity in bags so cuttings won't dry out. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Pembroke

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

When using fluorescent lights to grow anything, remember to keep the lights very close to the plant. The bulbs should be just over the tops of the bags.

I found it easier to have the cuttings in peat pots inside the bags because otherwise the bags are tricky to handle. It also makes it possible to drain excess water.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 12:49PM
pembroke(6--Louisville KY)

by excess water. how much is excess? I would think that you'd want high humidity such as a greenhouse has. Just my thoughts. Pembroke

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 2:52PM
seil zone 6b MI

Yes, high humidity but if there is sitting water that's too much and they can rot. I do mine in clear plastic cups, outside in partial sun, so I can see when they root and I don't even put covers on them at all. I just keep a close watch on them to keep the starter soil mix constantly damp.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 3:03PM
henry_kuska

Light is thought to inhibit the growth of roots. Clear cups are not recommended; although one could try a clear cup with only yellow light.

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow light report

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 3:56PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

You can put the clear cup inside a non-clear cup to keep that area dark. Or the clear cup can be buried in loose soil and pulled out to check for roots.

I start all mine in full shade, they do not need much light until they start growing.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 4:06PM
Campanula UK Z8

I find it weirdly beneficial to stash them somewhere out of sight, under the greenhouse bench or under the chaenomeles and hellebores, as otherwise, there is too much temptation to keep lifting the covers (I use plastic water bottles as sealed mini-propagation units) and even worse, tugging the stems. So yeah, outa sight, outamind and since the cuttings can live in thse little miniprops for months, if need be, this works well for me.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 6:21PM
pembroke(6--Louisville KY)

lots of great info. Any more? Pembroke

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
Julia Child for Pacific Northwest garden
I am on Vancouver Island and would love to add Julia...
Blueisland BC Pacific NW-Z8
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses...
bluehaven_gweb
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™