True or False

jktx55(8a TX)September 19, 2012

I put down 20 bags of Pine Bark mulch this spring in my Rose garden. Now i have been told that Pine bark mulch is bad for my roses due to the acid in the bark.

Has anybody used Pine bark mulch on their roses and if you did what was the out come?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Campanula UK Z8

Do you think yours are looking bad, bearing in mind your horrid hot summer? Suspect the advantage of a nice thick mulch may well have offset any change in soil PH. Roses are very tolerant of PH (more or less, there are a few picky ones). It is also harder, I find, to sustain an enhanced acidity than it is to change the PH to more alkaline, at least in the longer term.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 4:10PM
seil zone 6b MI

I've used it before and know of others who do all the time and I can't recall there being any problem with it.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 5:09PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

It's nonsense. Make a note not to listen to that person.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 5:20PM
jktx55(8a TX)

Thank all of you for your quick respone, I will quit worrying about the Pine bark mulch.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 10:11AM
roseblush1(8a/Sunset 7)

It's really not the nitrogen loss from the bark that may cause any problems as mulch. I found through some research that some pine needles are allelopathic and inhibit the uptake of nitrogen for other plants. Not all pines.

I turns out the pines that grow in our forest just happen to have the allelopathic pine needles and I have collected the needles and used them to mulch between my propane tank and the garden shed. They have controled the weed infestation in that awful area.

Smiles,
Lyn

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Mrs. B. R. Cant
Here are some cuttings of MBRC I started in November,...
thahalibut
Why did all the leaves on my rose just fall off?
I was able to propagate a rose from my daughters wedding...
soranch
How to Take Cuttings...
We are officially moving Monday, and as I walked the...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Reine de Violettes
I dug it up and moved it two years ago. It was own...
deervssteve
Is my new rose bush dying?
I just planted 3 new bushes in my front yard.. 2 of...
bruin27
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™