Garden fleece?

lovesblooms(7a)March 10, 2014

I'm wondering if it may be less trouble to take the plastic covers off my sprouted containers (nearly 2 dozen now) and cover the lot with a sheet of garden fleece instead. I figure this way I can lift the cover and get a look at all the containers at once instead of pulling on and off plastic baggies. Drawbacks to this method, anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

What's garden fleece? Does it let in the sun? And does it blow away? Or get wet? It does sound much easier. Or, could you just leave the tops off? Most things that are growing already can stand a bit of frost or light freeze.

Martha

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 11:55AM
lovesblooms(7a)

Martha, garden fleece is my scientific term for a type row cover that's meant to use to protect frost-tender plants or winter crops because it's kind of thick--reminds me of fabric interfacing, and it comes in a roll. I used it last year to keep my tomatoes, peppers and eggplants from getting too cold during our unusually cool, late spring last year. I didn't know about wintersowing then, and all of them had been started indoors. It worked quite well; I didn't lose a plant. It does let sun and rain in. I may try it, since I've grouped the sprouted containers in one spot--I'll just drape a sheet of it over the group and anchor it down at the edges. As you said, these aren't really frost-tender plants, but I'm just sick of taking on and off all the individual covers.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 5:48PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I'd leave any tops off that can tolerate the frost, but use the "fleece" on everything else. There's no reason to cut down on the sun exposure if they can take the cold. Sounds like it would minimize the work of putting covers on and off. Let us know how it works.

Martha

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 10:58PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I was interested to see lovesblooms use the term 'garden fleece'. I thought for a moment it was a fellow Brit posting because that's what we call it over here. I believe it's known as Reemay in the US?

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 5:57AM
More Discussions
Can I really, really wintersow tomatoes?
I wintersowed in my old garden for several years and...
nonconformist_nymphette
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
promix ultimate potting mix for winter sowing?
Is this kind suitable for winter sowing, since it contains...
pink_petals
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™