Avocado tree ID

swakyaby(9)August 4, 2013

Hello avocado fanatics,

Purchased a young dwarf avocado tree last spring at Home Depot and planted in a raised bed 5 months ago. I have wondered what cultivar of avocado this is. The plant tag says only that it is a dwarf hybrid. When I enter the plant code "THDA5155" on the Home Depot Garden Club website, it only says it is a dwarf hybrid, that it grows to 12 feet. When I asked an employee at the Garden Center at HD, he simply shrugged. The tree set one fruit that is pear-shaped (pictured, with some sun-scald, I think).

At first I thought it might be a Little Cado, but I thought Hass types were oval shaped fruit. I don't know what a Holiday looks like. Can anybody help ID this little tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you haven't yet try GardenWeb Fruit and Orchards forum or maybe the California one.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 2:16PM
joeinmo 6b-7a

Is there a white plastic band on the tree? It probably had the grower on it, you could call them.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 2:54PM
swakyaby(9)

@bboy, you're right, I should have realized I posted on the wrong forum. The Fruit and Orchards forum has the avocado fanatics.
I will post my question there.

@joeinmo, The tree does have white plastic tape securing it to a bamboo support, but there is no grower listed, just the Home Depot Garden Club. And there is no customer service person there that could help me.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 3:01PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Big boxes like Home Despot and Slowe's often do not have adequate or accurate labeling of plants. Looking at your first picture I could tell you bought the tree at such a place.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™