first aid for a scraped cedar tree

kvbchAugust 11, 2014

A weed-trimmer accidentally did this damage to a beautiful little Eastern Cedar in my yard....this happened a week ago.

*What -- if anything - should I do to help the healing along?
Somebody mentioned to me that, since it is not that deep, for me to just leave it alone and the tree will heal itself,

However, since this tree means a lot to me, I want to make sure.

Thanks. Kevin

Southern Illinois

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huggorm

Yes, leave it alone, the tree will handle it all by itself. But it does look older than just one week to me.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 3:31PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the blackness/aging of the interior wood.. makes me think it might have even happened last year ...

all you need do.. is kill the freakin grass around the plant.. and put in a min 2 foot mulch ring.. to keep the idiot with the weedwhip away from the tree .. in my garden.. that would be me.. lol ...

trees heal themselves ...

ken

ps: eastern red cedar is considered an invasive in some areas.. and a native in others ... and a host for cedar apple rust ... and its not really a cedar ... whats that all about.. its a juniper ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:11PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Definitely older than a week.

To help the tree avoid further damage, clear any lawn at its base for at least 20 inches out from the trunk, then mulch with your favorite material but don't mound against the trunk..

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:12PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

man jean..

i love when our posts are posted seconds apart and agree ... lol ... i feel like i am agreeing with a genius... i hope you feel the same ...[God am i bored with the rain .. lol]

but i think you really crossed a 4 inch line .. when i suggested 2 feet.. and you.. only 20 inches ...

and when i said 2 feet.. i meant measuring out from the trunk.. meaning a 4 foot circle .... nice place for some annuals next summer ....

ken

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Indoor Dogwood Tree
Hi, I'm looking to grow a dogwood tree indoors in our...
timandpao
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™