too late for me?

danaoh(SWOhio zone 6)March 4, 2013

Moved this past fall, started full time job about a month after we moved. Is it too late to start cone flowers, cosmos, and shasta daisies 25miles north of Cincinnati?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrene(5b MA)

Not at all. Echinacea doesn't require cold treatment, although it might have higher germination rates with some, and neither does Cosmos (I usually sow mine in the Spring, but sowed some for the winter-sowing experiment already). I've never sowed Shasta daisy but assume it's similar to coneflower or Rudbeckia and would germinate fine.

There's still plenty of cold weather left in zones 5/6 for those seeds that require cold stratification too.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:24PM
tempusflits

I've even started shasta daisies in summer and then planted then out into the garden in fall.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 4:07PM
thenightingale(6)

The first time I winter sowed was after learning about it a few years ago in early March. I put out a handful of containers probably halfway or 3/4 of the way through the month, and everything did beautifully, from veg to flowers! I say keep putting them out��"even in summer I'll plant a few so that I have new things to plant (is this an addiction?) in autumn. Go for it!

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 11:12AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

I'm still putting out containers and will through the end of this month into April. Most of what I'll do from here on out are things like zinnias and sunflowers that I could direct sow, but have better luck shepherding the seeds in a milk container than I do leaving them to battle on their own in the garden. Plus, I still have lots of prep to do in my beds. Why are the weeds always the first to sprout?

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 6:45AM
danaoh(SWOhio zone 6)

Update. Could not find my cosmos seeds from the old house. Very disappointed. But my shasta daisy and purpleconeflowers did well in the styrofoam containers from the fish dept at grocery. But will they bloom this year? Only about 5 or6 in. tall, but multi leaves.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 9:33PM
danaoh(SWOhio zone 6)

Could not find my cosmos seeds from the old house. Very disappointed. But my shasta daisy and purpleconeflowers did well in the styrofoam containers from the fish dept at grocery. But will they bloom this year? Only about 5 or6 in. tall, but multi leaves.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 9:35PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

Some coneflower packs say they'll bloom the first year if planted early enough. Mine didn't bloom last year when I sowed them, but are budding now. I'm not sure about the daisies. In my experience very few perennials bloom the first year. If you grab a pack of cosmos, which are annuals, and direct sow they should bloom.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 7:32AM
terrene(5b MA)

Hey danoah, in zone 5/6 I don't think that most Echinacea will bloom the first year. There are some seed strains that they claim will bloom the first year, but they don't for me. They start to bud in the fall, but there isn't enough time for them to fully bloom. That is okay, I am patient.

I actually bought and sowed 3 new varieties of Echinacea seeds from Swallowtail seeds about 2 weeks ago. This includes 'Prairie Splendor', 'Magnus Superior', and 'Baby Swan'. They have all sprouted!

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #1:
This is the first thread in the official Winter Sowing...
ladyrose65
Do you remember the 'red border' someone posted a few years ago?
I loved it and would love to try some amaranths. I...
thisbetty
winter sowing a raised bed?
I am considering ws a raised bed in my backyard and...
maryjozone5
Unknown seedling in with foxgloves
I planted foxgloves (digitalis), which are the small...
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
ws foxglove in 2liter
I'm a newbie and have been ws in 2liter bottles. For...
gardentherapy.
Sponsored Products
Lighted Timer Peace Sign
$89.99 | zulily
Worthy Corner Chair - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
VIG Furniture - Bella Italia Leather 260 Sectional Sofa in Black -...
Great Furniture Deal
Mission You Glossy Bronze Four Light Outdoor Wall Mount w/ Hand Pressed Recycled
$449.00 | Bellacor
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Brown 6 ft. x 6 ft.
Home Depot
New Traditional Blue & Ivory Heriz Serapi 8x10 Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H3493
BH Sun Inc
WAC 808 LED Bronze Low Volt Track Head for Lightolier Tracks
Euro Style Lighting
Jungle Leaf Placemat - Set of 4
$32.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™