Help with young crape myrtle

furbankAugust 23, 2013

Hello fellow gardeners - Will the branch extending from the base of the tree's left trunk, crossing behind it's right trunk, create problems when it matures? I've heard so many stories about avoid pruning young crapes, yet recommend the removal of crossing branches. Well, this youngster is starting life with a crossing branch, and the removal of it would take out the majority of it's canopy right side. What shall I do? I realize that pruning should be done in late Jan. - Feb. I am very concerned & any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Crossing branches can be removed when they are seen.

Do it now. Your tree has plenty of other leaves to take over.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 5:54PM
furbank

Thanks for the quick response, however I failed to mention that the tree was planted in March 2013 zone 7 & hasn't established itself yet. Should I wait 2 growing seasons before cutting on it. There are so many conflicting care instructions given online, that I don't know the exact season to prune. Is it in the late Fall or early Spring for zone 7? Online says Jan., but wouldn't it be exposed to frost & be at risk?! Please help. Thank you

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 7:12AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

"...the tree was planted in March 2013 zone 7 & hasn't established itself yet. Should I wait 2 growing seasons before cutting on it."

If you were "limbing-up" for aesthetic reasons, I'd say sure, wait until the second growing seasons to give your crape time to get established. However, in the case of diseased, dead, or rubbing branches, you can go ahead and prune them at your earliest convenience.

"...I don't know the exact season to prune. Is it in the late Fall or early Spring for zone 7?"

The ideal time for pruning crapes is late winter to very early spring. Pruning during this time will ensure that the plant is able to cover over the wounds as quickly as possible. It's also a good time because there are no leaves and you can more easily tell what you are doing. All this doesn't mean you couldn't prune at some other time. I would avoid pruning really late in the growing season, which would encourage new growth that wouldn't have time to harden off before winter.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Temporary Potting Small Trees - Central Florida
I have a small Magnolia tree, about 2 1/2' tall, and...
sunshinerivera
general all-purpose fertilizer recommendation?
Can anyone recommend a good, all-purpose granular (perferably...
vlk20
Vulcan Magnolia
Just purchased a 4.5 inch "Vulcan" Magnolia....it...
viper114
Question About Planting Dogwood Tree
I bought a nice looking pink dogwood tree today - about...
alameda/zone 8
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Westinghouse Comet 52 in. Black Ceiling Fan 7801665
$89.99 | Home Depot
Belham Living Richmond Curveback Shorea Deluxe Adirondack Chair - RCA011
$149.98 | Hayneedle
3Form Dark Bronze 27-Inch Wide Fluorescent Six-Light Bowl Pendant with U-Clips a
$999.95 | Bellacor
Bedroom Lamps: 28 in. Classic Small Table Lamp Honey 8233ST
$86.40 | Home Depot
Trellis Hearts Giclee Glow 16"W Bronze Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Madison Nags Head Sand Beige Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$170.40 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™