Pruning Damson Plum

teabag43August 25, 2007

Our Damson Plum Tree has some Black knot infection that we have been keeping somewhat under control by cutting out the knots this summer. This tree is overgrown with branches trailing down to the ground so we are not concerned about losing a lot of fruit next year. Can we prune this fall prior to the winter or is it safer to leave the pruning to early spring or late winter prior to growth? I understand the steps we have to take to try to save the tree with regard to the black knot it is just that I am unsure as to when would be the best time to do a severe pruning. Thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

I have no idea what black knot is but i'm sure that its best not to leave any pruning of plum trees till too late in the year as come fall when its much wetter(here in england anyway) there's a risk of fungal infection-can't remember the name of it now. I decided to prune our old plum tree heavily as it was old and badly needed some work. I just cut back all the branches leaving a skeleton to form a new crown. I'm not bothered about losing fruit as no one eats it and the garden gets covered in plums and the puppy eats them-not good!

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 5:47AM
More Discussions
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™