Small Oak tree trunk gnawed and now scarred.

arkansas_girl(5A)August 21, 2014

Shorty after I planted a small oak tree, the trunk was probably no bigger around than a quarter at the time, well some animal came along and gnawed on the trunk/bark of it. Fast forward a couple years now and the gnaw spot is now a gaping scar and the inside of the trunk is exposed about an inch wide and a few inches long. I'm going to assume this tree is history and I need to try again with a new tree. I just wanted to get conformation on my suspicions before I dig it up and replant. Is there no hope for it? It's in a very crucial spot too that I really need a tree and wouldn't you know it, all the other trees I planted are just fine and the animals didn't bother those.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

need a pic.. for an opinion ...

ken

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 5:09PM
needinfo001

Is the tree dead or still alive?
If it is still alive leave it be.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 12:50PM
renais1

If the tree is alive and doing well I wouldn't do anything. That does not sound like much of a scar, and the tree will likely just grow over it as time goes on.
Renais

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 12:54PM
arkansas_girl(5A)

I'm not sure if it's "not much of a scar" considering that the entire trunk is only about 2 inches in diameter. Remember I said the tree has only been planted for a couple of years so it's not very large at all. In the last month I've noticed a yellowing of the leaves, more yellow than it's neighbor that wasn't gnawed on and has no scar. :(

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 4:45PM
lucky_p

Not necessarily a goner. A photo might be helpful.
Wife backed a trailer into a 15-yr old bur oak in the yard here, 3 yrs ago. Knocked a 1-ft square(mostly) chunk of bark off. I replaced the loose bark and wrapped with parafilm(I have an 18" wide roll) duct tape & aluminum foil. The displaced bark did not 're-seat', but the tree has done an admirable job of closing over that defect - not quite there, but another year, and I think it'll be sealed over by callus tissue rolling in from the edges.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 10:28AM
arkansas_girl(5A)

I'll try and get a photo and put it in here, what's really bothering me now is the yellowing of the leaves. I can't help but think that it has to do with the big open spot on the tiny little trunk. The trunk is only a couple inches in diameter and the opening is about an inch...ugh!

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 7:15AM
More Discussions
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™