Dunstan Hybrid Chestnut: Does it live up to the hype?

nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)August 28, 2010

I was looking for sources of hybrid chestnuts for my edible landscaping project, and ran across the Dunstan hybrid strain at Chestnut Hill Farm. This quote stood out at me:

"There has not been a single reported instance of Dunstan Chestnuts dying of blight infection in over 30 years. This includes research and breeding programs as well as the many other locations where the Dunstan Chestnuts have been grown throughout the nation."

Has anyone here grown the Dunstan, or otherwise had experience with it? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dunstan Hybrid Chestnut

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineresin

Does sound a bit hyped up sales talk there.

One point to bear in mind; chestnuts are outcrossing, so if you plant all of just one cultivar you won't get much successful pollination. A mix of several different cultivars will give far better crops.

Resin

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 6:31AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

not been a single reported instance of Dunstan Chestnuts dying of blight infection in over 30 years

===>>>> that isnt even the life span of a single tree/generation .... thats right up there with defining weather cycles on a multi-billion year old rock based on 100 years of data ...

that, and.. most trees dont become affected with problems until they are OLD .... and 30 year old trees can barely be considered old ....

ken

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 9:32AM
lkz5ia

Dunstan is said to do poorly in northern states. One option is to try Oikos tree crops hybrids they have, or for the best chance of growing your own chestnuts, look up Badgersett hybrid chestnuts.

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 11:23AM
nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)

Thanks for the input. I do have several Oikos hybrid chestnut seedings already (several each of their Timburr, American Hybrid, and Seguin strains) grown from seed they were selling last fall. I also have been considering purchasing some from Badgersett since they are locally grown for me. Guess I'll stick with those choices then.

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 7:48PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

Dunstans from Chestnut Hill are seed grown to my knowledge. I have about two dozen seedlings right now in containers from seed collected in Georgia (I can't legally call them 'Dunstan').

I also have the ECOS and the Timburr trees from Oikos and the Dunstans are different. The Oikos trees have less pubescent leaves and I believe they have more American DNA compared to the Dunstan.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 12:26AM
surfclam99_yahoo_com

I was given 5 Dunstan seedlings, about 2 foot size, in about 2002, purchased from the original Florida source as a gift. I planted them on a small sunny parcel on Long Island, NY. They exhibit a wide range of success versus chestnut blight, but all are infected. A complication is that the smaller ones have been damaged by rabbit and deer browsing. All 5 are alive, but three have almost completely died back, only to resprout. The dieback was definitely caused by blight. One of those resprouts is up to about 10 feet high on its largest trunk. The second best one is about 15 feet high and had male flowers 2 years ago but no female flowers. The standout is a rounded (not a strong central leader tree), about 20 feet tall and 25 feet wide which has produced a 40-60 nuts each of the past 3 years, pollinated by a chinese chestnut seedling and the other Dunstan. It has cankers but responds vigorously to them

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 6:35PM
surfclam99_yahoo_com

I was given 5 Dunstan seedlings, about 2 foot size, in about 2002, purchased from the original Florida source as a gift. I planted them on a small sunny parcel on Long Island, NY. They exhibit a wide range of success versus chestnut blight, but all are infected. A complication is that the smaller ones have been damaged by rabbit and deer browsing. All 5 are alive, but three have almost completely died back, only to resprout. The dieback was definitely caused by blight. One of those resprouts is up to about 10 feet high on its largest trunk. The second best one is about 15 feet high and had male flowers 2 years ago but no female flowers. The standout is a rounded (not a strong central leader tree), about 20 feet tall and 25 feet wide which has produced a 40-60 nuts each of the past 3 years, pollinated by a chinese chestnut seedling and the other Dunstan. It has cankers but responds vigorously to them

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Fast growing trees in zone 8 or 9 Houston tx
We want to add trees in with our very old live oaks...
johnfam
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
Tree Planted Too Deep - Too Late To Raise
Hi all, I've been searching for some guidance on this...
damonb10
Maple woes
I had a Trident maple planted (poorly) in my yard at...
cajunladyintx
Question About Planting Dogwood Tree
I bought a nice looking pink dogwood tree today - about...
alameda/zone 8
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Dunstan Autumn Leaf Accent Table
Overstock.com
Safavieh Dunstan Grey Accent Table
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™