Willow Acacia dying?

raffuscAugust 6, 2011

Hi,

I think my Willow Acacia is dying. I live in Phx Arizona.

Here are my observations.

- I started noticing the tree did not have the usual lush last Fall.

- I called an arborist that told me the tree was just a little stressed but that was fine.

- In the mean time the tree kept losing leaves, the couple of frost days we had did not seem to exacerbate the situation.

- Then in March the tree bloomed with the usual bunch of yellow flowers, so I thought the tree was coming back.

- But after the bloom new leafs wouldn't grow; I called a different arborist that told me the tree was not dying and it would have come back soon.

- Well it is August and still no leaves! When I check the branches by bending them, some they brake like they are dead and some they just bend without braking like they are still alive.

Shall I get rid of the tree ?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Raff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Are you saying that your acacia is now completely leafless?

It sounds like it's either dead or, at least, in serious trouble. More info would have to be known to determine (or even make a good guess at) the cause. Not all arborists are created equal, and some (especially many of the non-certified ones) just don't seem to know much about trees at all. Of course without being there, I probably shouldn't assume the situation is so similar to what I see frequently.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 5:30PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Any suggestions?

Post pix. And give more info: age, watering, etc.

Dan

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 5:35PM
raffusc

Hello,

Thanks for the feedbacks.
My camera broke recently so for now I cannot post pictures.
Anyway, they would show an almost leafless tree with the remaining leaves that are drying. The tree is 8 years old and is watered for 2 hours every 4 days in the Phoenix summer heat (about 110F). I tried helping it by soaking the base with the hose for 1/2 hour every week, but I stopped doing it end of June. What is puzzling me (I am a novice in gardening) is: if a tree is dead, why some of the branches don't crack when bent and some do? Shouldn't all crack?

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 7:08PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

How easily a branch breaks is dependent upon a number of factors. I wouldn't use that to determine whether or not a limb was dead. You can scape a small area of bark off and see if there is still green underneath, but even that has its limitations.

Why don't you contact your local extension agency. They may be able to help you determine the cause and should be equipped to check for things like cotton root rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maricopa County Extension Contact Info

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 8:15PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

I'd say - based on provided info - root rot from overwatering. Co Extension may be able to confirm or deny, if they are still staffed.

Dan

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Grafting trees - shower tree + mango + avocado
Hi, The house Im about to buy has a shower tree right...
Daniela Andrade
Indoor Dogwood Tree
Hi, I'm looking to grow a dogwood tree indoors in our...
timandpao
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
Tree Removal Plan
Hi, I have a 100ft Silver Maple in my front lawn. It...
ACharles
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™