Mold and snail bait

katy_bug(z8a GA)March 15, 2013

I put some snail bait out when I started seeing sprouts a couple of weeks ago like I always do and the bait is now molding like crazy. I am worried because actually invested in a lot of wave petunias. Do any of you have this? You spray or anything?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silverkelt(Z5b/Southern Maine)

I usually have a 2-3 week window between slug season and frog season, its annoying, my poor hostas take a hit, but I dont put anything out, becuase I know the frogs and toads take care of it.

If you really dont have frogs and toads, you may have to consider some sort of control, I have to spray poision on my lilliums early (within a month of regrowth , or I lose them to red asian beatles, who also borrow into the leaves, so its impossible to get them out without killing the plant) Last year I also had to spray for rose slugs, when I sprayed my quandra becuase of a infestation, there were literally thousands that fell off, covered the immiediate ground with them.. disgusting.

I dont recommend spraying wholesale poision, but I do understand the need for it at times. There are going to be people on here who will screem "never" but alot of those same people do not have wholesale issues, a few invasives totally will destory a garden, without any intervention, it would be impossible to garden.

I always try to limit what I spray and how often, Ive had to modify my gardening style at times to limit it, I no longer buy modern roses, just Once blooming antiques, that are mostly done by July , before the JBs can devour most of them. I dont spray my roses any more, but If I had just modern rebloomers, I would have to.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
winter sowing a raised bed?
I am considering ws a raised bed in my backyard and...
maryjozone5
Is it too late?
Is it too late to do any WS? I figured I'd use moist...
ms_minnamouse
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #1:
This is the first thread in the official Winter Sowing...
ladyrose65
A different category for winter sowing!
You may not think of cacti as needing winter sowing,...
madabouteu
Green mildew on soil of WS containers?
Last year, I WSd in styrofoam cups that were placed...
gardengrlz
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/ Outdoor Mayaguana Brown/ Natural Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Black/Natural Geometric Rug (6'7" Round)
Overstock.com
Zebra Border Outdoor Area Rug
Grandin Road
Mesa Blue Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$279.00 | Bellacor
Tommy Bahama Harmony Outdoor Rug
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
Rustic Home Frame & Hook Wall Rack
$54.99 | Dot & Bo
Arezzo Console - ANTIQUE WHITE
$4,129.00 | Horchow
Campania International Sweethearts Garden Statue - S-420-AL