Drop dead red?

sc_gardener(zone 5)October 13, 2011

Looking for a red floribunda. Anyone have drop dead red? I see it at Regans and several other vendors. It says it is a weeks rose.

Or any other red floribundas you can recommend? I love europeana but it was the black-spottiest rose ever for me years ago I got rid of it. I have Valentine already.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

Where in SC is there a zone 5?

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 5:20PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

An older red floribunda that I have grown in every garden I've ever had is Eutin. It has some hybrid musk somewhere in its background, as can be seen in the large showy clusters of smaller blooms it produces. Good disease resistance. The red does not turn purplish with age, but stays red. It's a good, reliable rose.

Kate

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 5:32AM
sc_gardener(zone 5)

sc is the abbreviation for the town I live in, in IL. Thanks for the eutin tip. I have heard others say they like this as well.

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 10:36PM
phil_schorr(z6St.Louis)

Another good medium red not many people have grown is Stadt den Helder.

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 12:13AM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

As Phil said, Stadt den Helder is a great red floribunda. Coming out of northern Europe I would say it can handle cold temps with little trouble. Being one of the parents of Lady of the Dawn I just had to have it in my garden. I'm glad I got it.

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 9:21AM
peachiekean(z10A CA)

Trumpeter. When I worked at Armstrong years ago, this rose outsold all others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trumpeter - Orangish Red

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 9:30AM
seil zone 6b MI

I have Frankly Scarlet and I had high hopes for it. It bloomed great the first season but has grown steadily backwards since then so it is one I would NOT recommend. Another I'd say to stay away from is Black Cherry. After 5 years it's still so puny and is such a stingy bloomer I think it's destined for the shovel next spring. I got Crimson Bouquet this spring and it has been in bloom all season but I have no idea how it will winter yet.

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 4:36PM
the_bustopher z6 MO

I can mention a couple worth having. I have had fairly good luck with Black Cherry here, so it might be finicky as to where it wants to grow. However, the two I would say are quite good for me are Lavaglut/Lavaglow and Lili Marlene. These two are real workhorses and have plenty of flowers most of the time. That said, I do have to spray my garden regularly here.

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 5:25PM
jim_w_ny(Zone 5a)

I and Dublin Bay have been touting Eutin off and on for a long time. To little avail as I don't see any big trend toward planting it. It is my perfect Floribunda. I keep saying I need a bed of it instead of just one. Oh and it has been around a long time. Intro in 1940!

It is super healthy, hardy and and flowers all the time. Perfect red. Even gets few if any JB's.

An even better red is the shrub Robusta. It too is in flower all the time. A bit prone to BS but that doesn't affect its' performance

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 7:10AM
kstrong(10 So Cal)

I have been growing Drop Dead Red since early spring and I have to say I'm not really all that impressed with it, as it is a little scant on flowers. The color is nice and bright, but there should be more of it.

I'd go with a different rose. Lavaglut, Lili Marleen, Salsa, Showbiz, Topsy Turvy and Preference are all red florrie faves of mine and all of them bloom more consistently.

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 1:39PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

'Eutin' is nice because you cut one stem, add a bit of greenery, and you have an instant bouquet--one cluster might have 4-8 dozen flowers on it.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses...
bluehaven_gweb
Heirloom roses website
Hi, I've been trying to order roses from the Heirloom...
bellarosa
pernnial blue and purple skyliner
OK, since you all were so helpful with your comments...
bart_2010
When a seller has the wrong picture, etc.
One rather large plant catalog with lots of pictures...
stillanntn6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™