Why are there empty Hazelnut shells?

glaneciaAugust 7, 2009

We have a grove of hazelnut trees growing on our land. They're at least 20 years old. They've been growing on this land since I was a kid. My father used to harvest them, but he's gone now, so I'm left to figure out what's what. Last fall/harvest, I picked them off the ground, as soon as I noticed them falling. I dried them in a dehydrator. When I started to open them up, one by one, I found that every one I opened was empty. I opened at least 30 nuts, and every single one was an empty shell. I've read that hazelnut trees can do this, but I don't know why -- some kind of mold? Or did I do something else wrong? Should I open the shells before drying? What causes empty shells? Will the trees ever produce nuts again? I hope this next harvest will be better.

Just today (August 7), I took a premature nut off the tree and broke it open. I was curious. It certainly has a nut growing there. Is this a good sign? Or will the shells be empty again after the harvest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineresin

Most likely cause is frost during pollination last year. Also perhaps the local squirrels and/or jays beat you to all the good ones and just left the empties for you.

If you have a filled nut now, that's a good sign.

Resin

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Tree Planted Too Deep - Too Late To Raise
Hi all, I've been searching for some guidance on this...
damonb10
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
Does anyone on here have a Cercis canadensis - Eastern Redbud Tree?
I want to get a couple of them. Are they wind tolerant?...
ilovemytrees
my peach tree
My peach tree has bores or some type of insect in...
dbcaa
Please help me identify this tree???
I have searched everywhere and can NOT find the name...
Terry Whitehead
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™