korean fir

flexwebberAugust 13, 2014

Haven't had much luck growing this tree. Two if them died. Any tips on growing this plant? I tried it in well drained soil in full sun. Thanks.

Brian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StGuaposFire(DE 7)

I planted a young korean fir (8-10 in) here in northern Delaware this April in similar conditions but with afternoon shade. So far it is faring ok, but I'm not sure what my long term results will be. I'd be curious to hear others experiences as well.

S

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:19AM
StGuaposFire(DE 7)

I'd also suggest re-posting this on the conifers forum as well.

S

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:20AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i grow them like weeds in MI ...

i seem to think my friend in KC cant grow them .. its a night heat/humidity issue ...

ask for dave in the conifer forum .. lol

link to this post ...

ken

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:11AM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

A seedling (own root) Korean fir should grow well in most of New Jersey. Maybe not right by a pond, and not on completely awful clay builder's fill, but there can't be much of that anywhere in the state. Problem is if they were cultivars, a PNW wholesale nursery could have grafted them onto something that does not last long in New Jersey. For example, were they 'Horstmann's Silberlocke'?
And of course there's always the possibility you just did something wrong. Sorry. It is what it is. They are not fool-proof plants under the best of circumstances. Literally.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 11:21

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 11:20AM
flexwebber

Not sure exactly the cultivar since I got it from Henry's Field and nursery but I will ask them. As far as doing something wrong, I guess it's possible, but I just dug up the dying plant and the soil was incredibly fertile....it had tons of worms in it. The sun situation was pretty good as well.....5 hours of sun and then some filtered sun/shade. It was watered once a day without fail as well.....

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
3 trees, 3 options...your thoughts on the best route
As you may have read in my other posts, I will be planting...
johniferous
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™