exactly how big are your HOS?

beachgrub(4 northern michigan)April 26, 2012

I've used the gallon milk jugs. I'd like things to look full this year so should i just divide the jugs into quarters? I sowed very heavy so the jugs are packed full.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northforker

You know, this is one of those "it depends" situations.
And what it depends on is WHAT seedlings are packed full in that jug. For plants that will ultimately remain small (dianthus, allysum) you can do what you have said, but you'll get more coverage if you make the HOS's a bit smaller and leave some space between.

For larger plants, I do try my best to get no more than 3-4 seedlings in a chunk. Because when they grow, only one or two are going to make it that close togther (usually). Yesterday I planted out African daisy. They will get 1-2' tall. I tried to get only 3-4 seedlings in a chunk and planted them about 6-8 inches apart. When thye grow they will be tight - head to head - and that's they way I like them for fullness and weed prevention.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 10:06AM
trudi_d

Six or seven seedlings a hunk is about what I do.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 10:59AM
beachgrub(4 northern michigan)

Wow, glad i asked, i was thinking 20-30 seedlings per hunk! Omg am i going to have ALOT of extras! Lol

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 5:02PM
northforker

But remember you don't HAVE to stress yourself to get only a few seedlings in a chunk. I think every WSer has planted an entire "brownie" from the bottom of a milk jug in desperation at one point or another! You just get more for your WSing buck by going smaller if you can....

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 5:37PM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

It depends. If I just want a nice patch, I divide the jug into 4 brownies. Sometimes i halve those quarters depending on germination.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Green gunk on my soil: can I salvage?
Here's the facts: Newbie WSer Bought the Miracle Grow...
emcd124
promix ultimate potting mix for winter sowing?
Is this kind suitable for winter sowing, since it contains...
pink_petals
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
First Time WS... Snapdragons, lunaria, cleome... Help?
So this is my first year WSing. I planted some perennial...
david883
seeds already started?
I've started several seeds in paper cups and put in...
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™