Red bud with yellow leaves

stuckinthedirt(6b VA (Shenandoah Valley))August 18, 2008

I planted an eastern red bud early this spring. It is about 8 feet tall. I put some osmocote in the ground around the root ball when I planted. I watered deeply 1-2x/week, until about a month ago. Then with travel, and forgetting, it has been watered more like once every 1-2 weeks. I have noticed that the leaves are getting yellow (some fully yellow). The veins of the leaves are the same color of the rest of the leaf, not darker. Some leaves look dry, or burnt.

What is the best thing to help my tree? I have started to increase the watering again.

I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

Thanks,

Ed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

dig a small hole.. and find out how much water is actually getting into the root zone ...

is the tree properly mulched???

next time skip the fert in the hole ... dont fixate on that now...

insure PROPER water through dormancy ....

it is NOT uncommon .. on transplanted trees to show high signs of stress ... during it first or second summer after transplant .... perhaps just a survival mechanism... reducing leaf count to the truncated root system ... as long as they dont all turn brown and fall off 2 months before they are supposed too ... i would give it high odds of returning.. subject to the pix ... and even early dormancy.. wouldnt be fatal ... with a redbud ...

starting with a smaller tree .... would probably have avoided this... they just adapt faster on the root to leaf ratio ....

good luck

ken

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 8:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heimert(7)

I have had a redbud for a number of years (in DC). Its leaves tended to yellow in late summer, especially if it is dry (I watered it regularly for the first few years, but less so once established). It's come back healthy the next year with flowers/buds. In other words, I wouldn't worry too much.

(Dunno how your weather has been, but in DC we've received almost no rain in the last month, other than a couple of sporadic downpours)

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
3 trees, 3 options...your thoughts on the best route
As you may have read in my other posts, I will be planting...
johniferous
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™