california redwood/ giant sequoia?

avidgardener25August 5, 2014

Hi everyone!

Im a bit new to this neck of the woods since im usually found with the chili-heads in the hot pepper forum. I just also found another little garden hobby with training trees such as bonsai and I was wondering if anyone knew that whether or not these seeds are typically sold at nurseries? im in southern ms and my closest nursery is 25 miles away...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

You can get seeds for either from Sheffield's, and several mail-order nurseries selld the trees, but only the Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) would be acceptable in Mississippi. The Giant Sequoia will die from a fungal infection probably almost immediately - does not do well with heat + humidity.

Another recommendation, which is deciduous, but is a "redwood" is Dawn Redwood, Metasequoia glyptostroboides, which should do OK in Southern MS since I have seen people say it does well in Houston, which should be a similar climate.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:43PM
georgeinbandonoregon(z9 OR)

other "redwood" relatives include the deciduous native baldcypress (taxodium distichum) and the evergreen "japanese cedar" cryptomeria japonica---both probably available as plants from nurseries in your area or mail-order nurseries like forestfarm (among others).

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 2:17AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Baldcypress should of course do beautifully in MS as it is native right there.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:59AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i dont know why you wouldnt invest in a mail order babe.. a year or two old ...

i cant believe it would cost more than the gas to drive all over town.. looking for exotic tree seeds ....

i have never seen exotic tree seeds in random nurseries ... but then again.. i wasnt really looking... lol ..

ken

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:26AM
subtropix

Bald Cypress, Coast Redwood, and Dawn Red are all readily available in eBay as seedlings and larger size, though I do not think this is the best time of year to order them as they usually come bare rooted. That's where I got all mine. Do not know how they do as bonsai specimens though. I would check into that first. As normal containerized trees, they are easy though. P.S., this DR in the photo originally came in the mail a few years ago. This picture was last year, now it's twice as big!

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Indoor Dogwood Tree
Hi, I'm looking to grow a dogwood tree indoors in our...
timandpao
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™