Difference between sowing in sun vs shade

ellenr22April 20, 2014

I've always sowed in full sun, cuz that is the space where it is convenient to put my containers.

Noticing how often I have to water, I'm starting to put some containers in sun/shade.

It seems to me tho that germination would happen faster in containers that are warmed by the sun.
Has anyone noticed this?

To test my hypothesis - I'd have to put the same seed in the sun and in the shade. I'm not that curious! lol

but interested in others' experience who have done it both ways.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

Just curious what kind of containers you're using. I use milk jugs that are in full sun (when it's not snowing or raining or overcast which it has been until the last week or so). I haven't had to water yet. Are you using something shallow?

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 2:03PM
ellenr22

I use milk jugs too. About 3 inches of soil.

I water when the top gets dry.

The ones that are in full sun, are also against a brick wall, so that probably makes them hotter. I am now putting them in dappled sun/shade, and that works better, stay moist longer.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 12:03PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

By dry do you mean when you no longer see condensation? I have a few jugs like that, but when I stuck my finger in the soil it was still moist. I've been known to drown plants in the past, though, so I err on less rather than more. I did water the lettuce and kale the other day, but I took those tops off about a week ago since they like it cool.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 7:39AM
ellenr22

I go by weight and appearance. If the soil looks dry on top, I plop them in some water.
I can also pretty much tell by lifting them if they need water.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 5:33AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

The warmth of full sun definitely speeds germination. I also think it prevents some of the rotting, if they aren't quite as wet as they might stay in the shade. I keep mine in the shade through winter, but when the snow is gone I move them into the sun to get things moving.

Martha

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
Can you re-use the potting soil from last year?
I have some milk jugs left from last year. Can I use...
jd101
I may have overdone things a bit...
So... I split out my 1 gallon pot of Di Ciccio broccoli...
pugetsoundgardener
Annuals
Can you wintersow, Tithonia and Salvia now? I have...
bellarosa
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™