Profusion Flowering Crabapple - Help!

bellily(6)September 4, 2010

Hi,

I was interested in getting a Profusion Flowering Crab. Malus x Profusion. Can anyone give some input (I live in zone 6):

1) The tag states size is 12-15' Tall by 8-10' Wide. Is this the correct size? I read on the internet that the width can really be 15-20' wide.

2) Based on the info above, how big do the roots get? Do these trees have soft roots? I want to plant near a sidewalk (did have a wimpy Bradford Pear that fell down in windstorm).

3) If the birds don't get all the fruits, do they fall off the tree? And make a mess on the ground?

Thanks for your help! Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

1) Depends on growing conditions. Tag sizes are average. Good stock will get larger.
2) Depends on growing conditions. Maybe half again the crown spread. They are pretty good around pavement.
3) Yes. Yes.

Dan

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 8:47AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

in my z5 ... the fruit hangs on thru late winter .... and then the desperate birds eat a vast majority of them ...

ken

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 9:16AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Not the most disease-resistant crabapple, you might want to try another instead. Except for narrower forms, such as fastigiate cultivars and a small number of naturally erect-growing species many kinds of trees often produce spreading specimens as wider or wider than tall when grown in the open, without crowding by other trees close by. Most kinds of crabapples, including 'Profusion' produce a spreading, even arching crown in time.

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 1:35PM
bellily(6)

Thanks everyone for posting.

Is this tree available in a no fruit variety? Home Depot sells these trees with the same name (Malus x Profusion) with two different tags - one has flowers and fruit and one only has flowers. The tags are from the same nursery. I also called a local nursery and they verified the ones they sell do not have fruit! Does this make sense?
Thanks again for your help. Chris

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 9:40PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Does this make sense?

They are lying to you. Malus genus is monoecious.

Dan

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 10:10PM
calliope(6)

Agreed. Perhaps whomever answered the phone was thinking in terms of edible fruit vs. ornamental fruit or persistant fruiting. The only sterile crab I know of is Spring Snow.

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 5:15PM

HD is not the place to go for reliable and consistent labeling of trees and shrubs.

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 8:43PM
bellily(6)

Thanks everyone for the help. I will pass on this tree. I was under the assumption that this would get fruit, but wanted to verify. I may try the Spring Snow or Redbud.

Thanks again for your input. For a beginner, this board is a great resource as tags and even nurseries can't always be relied on. Chris

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 9:13PM

HD is not a nursery.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 10:34PM
More Discussions
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Indoor Dogwood Tree
Hi, I'm looking to grow a dogwood tree indoors in our...
timandpao
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™