Lime Sulphur banned by the EPA!

stephenc2010November 13, 2010

I have been looking everywhere for lime sulphur. I talked to a very nice customer service representative at Bonide who informed me that it has been banned by the EPA and it is illegal to manufacture it in the U.S. What should I use instead? I am thinking to just use my regular copper fungicide in a slightly higher concentration while the plants are dormant in combination with a dormant oil spray. Any thoughts on this or suggestions?

Thank you, Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Yes, copper fungicide might be more effective than lime sulfur anyway. It has a wider spectrum.

I don't bother with dormant sprays myself.

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 9:52AM
landperson

I don't know anything about lime sulphur, but I do use Liqui-Cop (Monterey)-- copper -- for the very limited spraying that I sometimes do in the spring to get us over the fungal onslaught caused by our cool late rains. It was recommended to me at the own root rose nursery where I have bought almost all of my roses, and it seems reasonably inoffensive.

Susan

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 10:25AM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

Volck Oil mixed with Cooke Kop-R-Spray works well here as a spray and soil drench. In this area it's best to apply it after winter pruning.

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 11:19AM
york_rose

I don't think this is correct information. I just checked online and found a 2005 EPA reassessment of the environmental risks presented by lime sulfur. The document indicates that the EPA determined there were almost zero environmental risks, and no human health risks, presented by lime sulfur.

I also can find other lime sulfur formulations for sale on the internet. I don't know why Bonide appears to have suspended its production of lime sulfur, but I don't think it's because lime sulfur per se has been banned for use as a horticultural pesticide by the EPA.

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 11:20AM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I don't bother with dormant sprays either.
But, I hope you get this situation sorted and find out
what the real facts are on this subject.
Others would probably like to know.

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 11:34AM
Cindy Ehrenreich

Our Bonide rep told us the company just wasn't making enough money on it to keep producing it. It all comes down to profit.

Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 11:05AM
inf0_info_com

Due to suicides using Lime sulfur and Strong acid to produce Hydrogen Sulfide. Painless deal in a sec.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 10:48PM
dimitrig(SoCal z10a/21)

The manager of my local Armstrong Nursery says they do not carry lime sulphur anymore and cannot get any.

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 7:20PM
erasmus_gw

I do know lime sulphur spray is not harmless. I tied a bandana over my nose while spraying it and still got quite a bit of lung irritation. It's better to use a respirator with it. Seems to me that even spraying horticultural oil could be bad for lungs.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 10:34AM
professorroush(6A)

My local gardening centers (2 of them) have Lime-Sulpher; Hi-Yield Brand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 9:07PM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

I also thought it had been banned. After it clogged my sprayer, I never thought it was harmless.

Sammy

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 4:53AM
henry_kuska

It is my "impression" that when the EPA requires (suggests) that a product's registration be withdrawn, they allow existing retail stock to be sold.

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 10:36AM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

To stop the clogging, make your solution with HOT water. A mass of hot water will retain its heat for the time it takes you to spray it and as the aerosol passes through the air it will cool before it hits its target.

We never smell it because we use the full duty chemical respirators that we also use for paint stripping and digging into walls where critters have lived for decades (old house renovators know not to breath that cr*p)

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 10:38AM
donnieappleseed

I was also told by a Bonide representative a few days ago that the EPA was not allowing them to sell lime sulfur.....so I have to wonder if that is not the real story....and if so, why am I not hearing more about it.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 8:39PM
mike_rivers(z5 MI)

Lime sulfur is not banned by the EPA. As best I can determine, the facts are these: A congressional act of 1988 required the EPA to review and consider for reregistraion all pesticides, including lime sulfur, registered before 1984. In 2005, lime sulfur was approved for reregistration (see link, below). Evidently, reregistration of an individual product containing lime sulfur, such as Bonide's, costs money and Bonide chose to not pay the fee.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA decision on Lime Sulfur

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 11:54AM
newtie(z8+ MS)

You can order it on line from amazon or from the Ace Hardware superstore, and your local Ace hardware may be able to get it for you. An alternative is the pet dip version of calcium polysulfide which is 98% and comes in 16 oz. bottles versus the Hi Yield brand of Lime sulfur which is 29 % calcium polysulfide and comes in 32 oz. bottles. The price after dilution is similar. Calcium polysulfide when diluted is stinky, effective, and relatively safe for humans. Wear rubber gloves so your hands won't stink and wear eye protection, especially when diluting the concentrate. It is very caustic (pH = 11+) and could cause blindness if the concentrate was splashed into the eye. (It can denature protein in the cornea) Other than that, it is quite safe, assuming you are not planning to drink it. (Don't mix it with acids). In my experience it is a very effective dormant spray for roses and fruit trees and bramble berry crops, and has some nutrient value when washed by rain into soils.

Bookmark   January 9, 2012 at 5:52PM
kathy9norcal

I have chosen to use copper and oil the last few years with good results. It seems much safer to me.

Bookmark   January 10, 2012 at 12:11AM
dan_keil_cr Keil(Illinois z5)

In my area Lime Sulfur is hard to use. There should be no freezing temp for at least 24 hours and growth should not be started. So I don't use it. I sprayed my roses before I covered them with manzate. I will use manzate again after I prune in the spring.Of course when you prune you cut off cane containg spores on them. Around here we have to prune to the ground So lime sulfur won't help anyway

Bookmark   January 12, 2012 at 12:19AM
More Discussions
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
Palatine roses in Ontario...
Has anyone ever ordered from Palatine Roses? If so,...
scott_madison
Question for celeste
I was reading some old posts of yours and seen that...
mooseymommy1
Beauty of Glazenwood
Starting to bloom. Tough to photograph. Picture taken...
deervssteve
NEVER plant a wisteria and kill it when it starts growing!
Our local electric co-op just came out and took down...
particentral
Sponsored Products
Kitschy No Photo Cast Iron Wall Plaque
| Dot & Bo
Florence Multicolored Lamontage One-of-a-Kind Outdoor Rug
$695.00 | FRONTGATE
Runner Rug: Yorba Lime 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Accent Rug: Cabana Terracotta 1' 9" x 3' 9"
$18.97 | Home Depot
Set of Four Holly Stuart Dot Fan Placemats
$139.50 | FRONTGATE
Earth Tones Braided Rug 5' x 8' - LIGHT GREY
$349.00 | Horchow
Lime Wine Bar Bottle Chiller
$6.99 | zulily
Classic Home Furniture - Vintage Print Block Cabinet In Lime Wash...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™