My zinnia sprouted in 5 days!

ellenr22April 17, 2014

These are seeds I got from Crosman's. Last year I had excellent germination from Crosman's zinnias.
They were the hit of my garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Very cool!

I am having mixed results with Zinnia germination. However my Zinnia were just one of the few I started indoors this year. Oh how I wish I could still live here but bring the old climate up to these here mountains lol! I barely got a month and a half of bloom from wintersown Calendula nana 'Citrus Cocktail' and other annuals last year....just not enough time I'm afraid...((sigh)).

I harvested these Zinnia 'Profusion Cherry' seeds from 2008 and really didn't expect much if any germination this year, but every single seed germinated within the first week! Then at the same time I also sowed a new package of Zinnia (tall red) variety and got zero after at least 20 days....go figure.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 8:35AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

Ellen, your post made me go out and check my zinnias, which went out last week. Only one zinnia sprout and, of course, one weed. :)

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:05AM
ellenr22

it's weird tho - now several days of germination, it doesn't appear that I will have the number of sprouts that I did last year. Last year, same company, same seeds, - seemed like every seed germinated. This year, much smaller number. oh well..I'll still have many, but not as many as I like.

or maybe there will be more, maybe some are slow-poke.

anyway, I shouldn't complain... as I continue to WS, long after there is any chance of accomodating all the plants in my plot. lol

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:15AM
More Discussions
Winter Sown Peppers (Tomatos)
I tried winter sowing last year for the first time...
midmented
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
Can I really, really wintersow tomatoes?
I wintersowed in my old garden for several years and...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™