Cuttings in winter

lucillleNovember 7, 2012

I am getting some rooted cuttings in a few days. I think it would be better just to plant them in the ground as there isn't enough bright natural light inside the house for plants since I have shade trees.

It rarely freezes for very long here, (I'm about 45 minutes from Galveston) and when that happens I can always put leaves or a cover over them.

What do y'all think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathy9norcal

I live in California and we get some frost in the winter, but almost never does it snow. I do all my rooting in winter. My best luck has been from putting the cuttings in big plastic cups that have drainage holes, about 3-4 cuttings per cup. Then I either put the cup into the ground or into a big flower pot if I am doing several "cups". I surround the cups with potting soil. The benefit of this is you don't need to disturb the roots in spring when you remove the cups and if you have enough roots, you can slip the entire root ball out and into its own pot. Newly rooted cuttings are very fragile if you don't do this, I have found. I have put six large cups of rootings into one flowerpot and had six plants in spring. I don't do it often, as my space is gone, but we have damp, cool winters, just perfect for rooting roses.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 5:06PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Love them plastic cups.

If you use clear plastic ones, you can see how the roots are developing, without disturbing them.

Jeri

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 5:38PM
strawchicago(zone 5a)

I second kathy on the info. that own-roots are very fragile. When I transferred them from pots into the ground I often broke half the roots off. Lesson well learned.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 10:02AM
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

Don't keep your roses indoors: they hate it there, it's the worst place for them, too warm, dry, and dark. If they're bare root or in pots you can probably pot them or leave them in the pots to grow, keeping the pots on the ground and covering them with a sheet or blanket when you get freezing weather. Or, if they have any root system at all, you can simply plant them right now in well dug holes, and not worry about them. Roses don't mind temperatures in the twenties or even the teens if their roots are protected. I root my cuttings over the winter in open beds, and also keep numerous plants in pots, and they all live through frosts in the upper twenties, and sometimes lower temperatures. Last winter we had three weeks when the daily lows were in the middle-low teens and never rose above freezing, but there was also a foot of snow on the ground, while we insulated the pots with hay and old sheets. We lost plants in the cold greenhouse, but everything that was on or in the ground lived and suffered no damage.
Melissa

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:58PM
strawchicago(zone 5a)

Thanks, Melissa, I always learn lots of good tips from you - much appreciated. My zone 5a winter dips to -20 degrees F., even lower with wind chill in Chicagoland. The rosarian Karl Bapst, zone 5a, told me to put baby roses to sleep in a DARK, UNHEATED garage and water them occasionally. You are right about not keeping roses indoor: too warm and dry.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Flowers and buds
Julia Child Chrysler Imperial Olympiad PJP
deervssteve
For those looking for Poseidon/Novalis
Heirloom Roses has it! I was so excited when I saw...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
Reine de Violettes
I dug it up and moved it two years ago. It was own...
deervssteve
How cold and for how long?
Last night's hard freeze wasn't that hard at my house....
stillanntn6b
Growing roses indoors in winter with very little light
I've read many sources here where people stated that...
braverichard zone 6
Sponsored Products
White & Blue Short Vase
$14.99 | zulily
Tiffany Style Flower Wall Sconce with Dome Shape Shade
ParrotUncle
Nourison Hand-tufted Barcelona Beige Rug (5'3 x 7'4)
Overstock.com
Crystorama Gramercy Mini Chandelier - 14.5W in. Pewter & Spectra Multicolor - 55
$590.00 | Hayneedle
Tommy Bahama Palm Beach Towel
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Arteriors Home - Arden Side Table - 9854
Great Furniture Deal
Hudson Valley Lighting | Travis Four Light Pendant
$900.00 | YLighting
Reanna Tufted Chair - AMETHYST
$2,590.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™