The Rose

chilliwin(EU DK 7)November 24, 2013

This is my second times I post here, I think. Actually I do not grow roses. I grow chilies. I have a couple of rose plants the other two are very small red. They are not in the containers and without any protection they survive the winter snow many years. Since last year I started take care of my roses, such as trim and fertilize :-).

The temperature here is now 1 C to 4 C, all my other plants are dying but this rose is blooming. I am very surprised to see her potential to deal this harsh climate. She has only two flowers.

It is the same plant. The leaves are a bit yellowish, I do not know the exact problems it may cause by the climate or nutrient deficiency. I have not fertilized about 2 months now. To see these yellowish leaves I am thinking to fertilize the plant. So I am requesting some advice here.

Caelian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

A number of possibilities.

When the soil gets cold some plants can no longer easily absorb the nutrients that are present and plentiful in the soil. When it warms up again, they can.

It could be that the rose is getting ready to drop its foliage for the winter.

The plant could use some fertilizer. If winter is coming on, it's usually not the best time to fertilize.

There could be a soil deficiency or an extreme pH that the plant cannot handle.

If you are in the EU likely it's normal winter response. Wait until spring to do anything.

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 11:21AM
seil zone 6b MI

I wouldn't fertilize now. Wait until spring. The rose is going dormant now and you don't want to encourage new growth that will not make it through the winter. Otherwise it looks very happy and healthy so I'd just let it go to sleep for the winter.

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 12:40PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

hoovb and seil, thank you for the advice.

Caelian

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 12:44PM
kittymoonbeam

That's a pretty rose. You can get some good compost and put that down in the spring. Some people here like to push straw around the plants after the ground freezes but before the snow piles up around the stems to save more green wood for spring.

Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 8:56AM
More Discussions
Anyone grow Coretta Scott king?
I've always liked the look of this rose, but after...
SoFL Rose z10
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
pernnial blue and purple skyliner
OK, since you all were so helpful with your comments...
bart_2010
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™