Glow-in-the-dark Roses

Resolute_Noir(11 (Philippines/tropical))November 17, 2013

Ok, you probably read the title and thought of how outrageous it sounds but it's possible. There are actually genetically modified tobacco plants out there that glow in the dark because of firefly genes inserted in them.

Roses aren't that far from being next considering how popular they are and that genetically modified "blue" roses exist that borrowed genes from pansies. (They were actually lavender because they failed to stop the rose from producing red pigments)

Now, I've come across a project that plans to make glowing plants as alternatives to street lights. They've been successfully funded in Kickstarter last June and are currently working on their projects and among them is a glowing rose.They haven't decided on what color to choose yet though and probably what type it's gonna be.

What do you guys think? Since this is genetic modification, if the glowing roses aren't sterile there's a chance they might pass on the bioluminescent gene to their offspring. Imagine your favorite rose bush glowing at night! Do you think they'd be welcome additions to gardens or are they just for novelty?

Here is a link that might be useful: Glowing Plants Kickstarter Project

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

I'll hold out for blue roses first - so far that has failed completely, despite a lot of money spent and insistence that it is possible.

Jackie

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 12:08PM
seil zone 6b MI

Although I like all kinds of things that light up I'm not sure I want my garden to glow in the dark. Sounds kind of eerie to me, lol.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 1:52PM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

I'm kind of wavering between eerie glow and intriguing glow--but if glowing roses increase visits by the deer, count me out. I have enough problems with them already. Diane

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 3:11PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Funny -- I'm a little bothered by glowing roses.

That's probably irrational on my part, because I've recently heard of a glow-in-the dark substance coming on the market for roads.

A gently glowing line along our lane seems like a nice replacement for the ugly streetlight that I loathe. So, why DON'T I want glowing roses????

Jeri

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 4:14PM
Campanula UK Z8

I am instinctively wary of cross genetic mixing so I suspect I would find a glowing rose to be very much against my acceptance of what consitutes 'beauty' (our aesthetic values are always mediated by social and cultural imperatives).
I had always considered bio-luminescence a fleeting phenomenon, much tied to environmental conditions......maintaining stability of phyto-luminescence might be a bit more tricky......which removes utility from the equation too so, nope, probably not for me.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 4:59PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

There you are -- THAT's probably why I instinctively shy away from the idea. Thanks Campanula. :-)

Jeri

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 5:22PM
Resolute_Noir(11 (Philippines/tropical))

Actually if they could bio-engineer bioluminescence, why not improve disease/pest resistance, cold hardiness, and/or heat tolerance instead?

Also, blue roses may failed but why not try black roses? It should be easier since some roses look dark enough to be black under low lighting. Conceptually, all they have to do is saturate the color of a dark enough rose to make it look black even in bright light, but they'd also probably have to increase its heat tolerance so its petals don't burn in the sun though.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:39PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Improved disease/pest resistance, cold hardiness, and/or heat tolerance would be far more useful, IMHO.

Jeri

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 10:42PM
catsrose(VA 6)

I suspect it will be a long time before we have to worry about glowing roses. I read the Kickstarter project. It is still very experimental. They are starting with Arabidposis and won't guarantee that will even be successful. But it's a great way to fund a research project and educate and involve the community at the same time. I like the idea of sustainable energy, but the idea of modifying genes is spooky. It promises to be another area in man's technology is far ahead of his wisdom to use it. I'm glad Europe is so strict on genetically modified plants. I wish the US were.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 11:12PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

I think I would rather stock up on Solar Lights.

The idea of something I eat having pollen on it from stuff that glows in the dark is not comforting

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 11:27PM
farmerduck

I am sure one day,roses would be engineered to bloom 4 seasons, glow in the dark, totally bullet proof and have all the attributes that one' heart desires. But I don't look forward to those roses. I garden because I enjoy being connected with simple, but essential things missing from my work like (sun, rain, dirt, sweat) as well as a bit of history and personalities of our plants. For gardenning, I will stay low tech and, yes, I find glowing roses disturbing.

For those who are M. Atwood fans, didn't she write about roses that glow in the dark in Year of the Flood?

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 11:34PM
Resolute_Noir(11 (Philippines/tropical))

I still think mutations like sports are the best form of genetic modification from nature.

Who knows? Maybe one day those failed blue roses will sport and we'll get a true blue one.

Also, bullet-proof roses! lol! That made my day.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 7:34AM
More Discussions
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
Photo-Cl. Butterscotch
This is a test to see if I can post on Houzz. A favorite...
James_Shaw_San Francisco Bay Area
Which William Shakespeare Do I Have? Can WS be grown as climber?
I'm not sure which WS (Austin) I have and am wondering...
cjrosaphile
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™