I went brain dead over the winter- veggies/annuals question

mmqchdygg(Z5NH)April 16, 2012

I know I can do the annuals any time (~3rd week of March is about as much as I've pushed the envelope seed packet in my area)

Questions for Z5ers:

Q1: OT Zinnias: Direct sowing has been good for me with standard zinnias that have been around a while, so I've stopped WSing those, but I forget the timing for DS. Now, or a little longer wait?

Q2: I have the new Zaharas this year. Anyone else? Are you DSing or WSing? Timing?

Q3: What else is on the wait-just-a-little-longer list other than morning glories?

Q4: Veggies? Leafies are already out, and I put up some (late) peas and beets (and yellow squash because I forgot the timing). What IS the correct Z5 WS timing on various types of veggies?

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachgrub(4 northern michigan)

M&M, i don't have your answers but glad u asked because i was wondering also when to DS zinnias. Hope someone pipes up. I have 6 jugs of zinnias that are doing great but have tons more seed i'd like to get in the ground asap.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 1:42PM
northforker

I'm not in your zone but I think this will apply any where: I've discovered over the years that Zinnias like it warm. Warm weather, warm soil. I don't direct sow any until Memorial Day. I do have some sprouted in jugs and they are very cute but just "sitting there". They won't grow much till it's warmer.

ONCE IT'S WARM, they take off like gangbusters. So there is sort of no point in rushing it.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 8:38PM
silverkelt(Z5b/Southern Maine)

I only wintersow lettuce and spinich usually, of those I just wintersow them fairly early, late feb , early march is fine, they are sprouted already.

Direct Sow, I only do peas now.

I will do the rest of the veggies, late may. Between the third and forth weeks. (for me green beans(5 diffrent types typically, sometimes more), cukes, zuchinni, pumpkins (for kids). None of them will germinate too much earlier anyways.

I do all my direct sown types (i wintersow zinnia but say, something like cosmos, I never bother, direct sow those all the time) I will do cosmos around may 1st to may 10th.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 9:13PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

Hi Stranger, nice to see you.

Zaharas are nice, disease resistant, with a growth habit much like profusions.

I usually WSow my zinnias.

Karen

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 6:44AM
mmqchdygg(Z5NH)

Hi Karen! As always, you never fail to disappoint with a GORGEOUS pic from your yard- (insert heavy, contented sigh). Beautiful! Of course, now you've got me wanting to go back over to Rosy Dawn Gardens and snatch up a pile of coleus for the season!
Thanks so much for the replies; funny what silly things you forget when you're doing other things (school, other hobbies...)

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Is it too late?
Is it too late to do any WS? I figured I'd use moist...
ms_minnamouse
Sprouts already
What I am doing is a cross, I guess, between stratification...
madabouteu
how long for annuals to sprout?
I moved and cannot find my records from last year....
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Unknown seedling in with foxgloves
I planted foxgloves (digitalis), which are the small...
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
Sponsored Products
Echo Small Pendant Light
Lightology
Mia Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture with Ceylon Glass
$445.50 | Bellacor
Delia Chevron Flatweave Rug 5' x 8' - PURPLE
$499.00 | Horchow
Double Vision Artwork
Grandin Road
George Nelson Bubble Pendant - Cigar - George Nelson, Modernica
$269.00 | HORNE