lavendar picture

ellenrr(7a)April 22, 2013

I actually seeded this twice, after the 1st didn't come up, I seeded again, then they all came up! Today I separated them and I've got about 10 paper cups of seedlings to give away.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellenrr(7a)

msg

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 3:16PM
ladyrose65

Congratulations! What did you do differently?

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:15AM
ellenrr(7a)

oh - I wasn't clear. :)
I originally sowed I think it was early March, and I waited and waited, and when nothing came up, I sowed again - on top of the first sowing. So what happened - the seeds were waiting for warmer weather - when they germinated both sowings came up.
So it was kinda crowded. I don't recommend it. A bit of trouble to separate them, but anyway, I've got dozens to give away.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 6:52AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

I'll take one. :) The one in my former herb bed doesn't look like it's coming back -- but maybe it's early yet.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:30AM
HoosierPagan(5)

I have tried the last few years to get True Lavendar to grow from seed but I have yet to be successful. I think I may be over watering the seeds? I have OCD so that could very well be. I will continue to try however

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 11:11PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Awesome Ellen!

HoosierPagan,

My wintersown ones gave very poor germination too. The year before last I got a whole 2 seedlings! My normal go-to method for starting lavender is to use a damp coffee filter. I sow the seeds on this, fold it so it's wedged like a pie and then stick into ziplock....all indoors at this point. Check bag often for seeds that have their first root (radical) emergence and pick out with tweezers and place individually in dixie cup size containers and lightly cover with potting mix that has been mixed with extra perlite. Place under vented plastic covers. Continue to check coffee filter every day for new sprouts and repeat.
After I get mine potted they go straight outdoors to complete germination and once the cotyledons (seed leaves) have emerged they come out from under their plastic covers....unless it's raining buckets! They want to be moist at this stage, but too much asks for problems and is also the reason I use dixie cup or pudding cup like containers. y
You can put them straight into 4" nursery pots ( I have) but just have to remember to up the percentage of perlite added to the potting mix.

Good luck :)

Vera

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 6:41PM
posierosie_zone7a__

Hi Vera,

Do you germinate the seeds in spring and put outdoors after last frost? Aldo, how do you transfer to the garden?

TIA,
Rose

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Something to pull in more newbies :-)
Front yard in June: Vera, I finally found a pic of...
pitimpinai
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
First Time WS... Snapdragons, lunaria, cleome... Help?
So this is my first year WSing. I planted some perennial...
david883
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™