Strawberries,cow manure,& wood ash?

just1morehosta(5)April 12, 2009

I am cleaning up out side,what a glories day,simply beautiful today.

Hubby cleaned out the ashes from the wood burner,i have a small amount of cow manure i am saving for when i plant out my strawberries,would it be benificial to mix the wood ashes with the manure?The manure is a year old,wood ash 1 month,strawberries,bare root.

Thank you guys, i hope you will be able to get out a little today,even just to walk around and "look" at every thing,THINKING OF YOU ALL,, AND WISHING YOU A HAPPY DAY.

cAROL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kiddo_1(NE OH 5)

From what I understand, wood ash is like lime, you use it if you have acid soil that needs to be more alkaline. I think strawberries like soil with a pH 5.5 to 6.5.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 5:14PM
clumsygrdner

You'd need a whole lot of wood ashes to get an alkaline affect. How much do you have? If you have a whole lot, add it to root crops instead. It sweetens beets and carrots especially. Or put around a lilac or forsythia. They prefer alkaline soil.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 5:25PM
token28001(zone7b NC)

It's safe as long as no pressure treated wood was burned. I spread mine over the tomato patch every winter.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 5:43PM
sandra60102(4a and 3b)

Zone 4a has gallardia, morning glories and anise hyssop seedlings.

Three milk jugs down, 103 to go.

Damn, this really works. Yes, I was really worrying I would be the one newbie with no sprouts!!!

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 7:56PM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Strawberries prefer an acidic soil and by using the ashes you will render the soil slightly alkaline which is definitely not a good thing for them.

The best uses for the ashes is to spread them lightly on your lawn before a rain or simply add to the compost where they will be mixed in with a myriad of other things.

Here in our province, strawberries grow wild alongside of blueberries. Our soil is quite acidic making both of them happy. I use my wood ashes to keep the lawn nice and lush and apply it very lightly to certain plants I have winter sowed that I know like to have a bit of 'sweetness' added to their soil.

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 9:01PM
floodthelast(5 N. OH)

Do you have any pine needles? They are acidic and make a great mulch for strawberries.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 8:03AM
just1morehosta(5)

Who would have known,well, i guess you guys,:0)

I don't have a lot of wood ash, just what we have taken out of the wood burner,we never use treated wood,never.

I will save it,and spread it around my tomatoes,which will be in containers, still ok to use?

And i do have one lilac bush i could use it on.

Thank you tiffy for the tip about the grass, i am trying to slowly get rid of all grass,what a job that is.
You sound like you live in the perfect spot,wild strawberries AND Blueberries,plus all the wild lupins,wonderful.

I am glad i asked this,can't wait to get these babies in the gorund.
I am planning on using straw inbetween the rows.
Thank you guys,
cAROL

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 11:02AM
token28001(zone7b NC)

Wood ashes are also known to deter slugs. Just saying....

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
easiest annuals to winter sow
so i have all my perennials out, and i'm beginning...
gardendaydreamer
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™